Question about HP Pavilion dv4000 Notebook
Hp dv41030ee laptop with wdc hd
First, why are you downgrading? Unless you have a particular piece of software that you HAVE to have that doesn't work on Vista, you shouldn't downgrade. Windows XP is outdated, and very soon won't be supported by Microsoft. So unless you have some overwhelming need to have outdated software stick with Vista.
Having said that... If you still want to go ahead with a downgrade to XP, first you'll need a copy of Windows XP and a serial number for XP.
(Note, everything on your computer WILL be erased so make sure you do your backups before you continue!!!)
1) Put the Windows XP CD in your computer and restart it. If your computer is set up to boot from CD, it should start automatically.
2) "To setup windows XP now press enter"
3) Agree to the licensing agreement
4) Choose whichever drive you want to install Windows on and press enter
5) Choose "Format the partition (Quick) and press enter
6) Press "f" to format the drive
7) It'll do the install then after a reboot it should show Regional Option, click next
8) Put your name in and click "Next"
9) Enter your 25 digit product key (Windows XP Key) and click next
10) Enter whatever you want for your computer name. It could be "Desktop" or "Laptop" or "Family System" whatever you like. If you're installing XP Professional, you'll also see a spot to type in a password to get into windows. You can leave it blank if you're the only one using it, or password protect it so no one can get in. (Then Press Next)
11) Make sure your Date/Time and Timezone is correct then press Next
12) "Typical Settings" next.
13) (IF XP PRO) Choose "No" then type in WORKGROUP
14) It should start windows after you've done those steps and you can register with Microsoft and create additional users at this point (All self-explainitory).
You might want to print this out if you're going to go ahead with the install.
Posted on Oct 24, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 20, 2010 | PC Laptops
Jan 27, 2010 | PC Laptops
Jan 04, 2010 | HP Presario CQ60-204NR PC Notebook
Jun 24, 2009 | HP Pavilion dv5-1150us NoteBook
Mar 26, 2009 | HP PC Laptops
Dec 28, 2008 | PC Laptops
Mar 27, 2008 | HP Pavilion dv4000 Notebook
Oct 05, 2007 | HP Pavilion dv9205us Notebook
93 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!