Hi we have recently installed a Samsung OTR microwave oven model no. smh8187wg, we chose option of vertical vent/exhaust, we removed the existing exhaust hood above range and installed microwave according to instructions. However when we turn the otr vent fan on, there is a front grill (on the microwave) that opens and air blows out, the microwave is sucking from the bottom pretty good, I checked the vent flap on top of microwave and it is free, also we disconnected the vent connection at microwave top and checked- some air is blowing out but most of it comes out at the front, and all the fumes from cooking just seem to be recirculated, this doesn't seem normal to us, even when microwave is being used this front vent opens. My question is how can we disable the front vent, we called the dealer and they said to contact samsung. we did and still waiting for their reply.
oman and pari singh
I just installed a samsung microwave and it came with the fan set for recirculate. I moved the fan motor for top exhaust. Had to go back to Home Depot to get a broan exhaust damper/adapter. It slides in the top of the microwave and sticks out about a 1/2". You put a 3 1/4" by 10" exhaust onto this then you can transition to round etc... Be careful you need about 3" of 3/1/4 x 10" exhaust section so the damper does not hang up.
The vent fans can be moved to three different positions. Top exhaust, back exhaust and front exhaust. Take the microwave down. There are two screws on the vent cover, take those out and bend the vent cover up. remove the one screw in the back holding the vent fans in. You can now lift the vent fans up and turn then to the right position.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Is it an over-the-range (OTR) microwave or a countertop microwave? If it's an OTR microwave, are you talking about the light(s) on the bottom of the microwave, or the one that lights up the cavity when you open the door or run the microwave?
If it's an OTR microwave, and the cavity light is burned out, you MAY be able to access it by removing the grill vent by removing the 2 to 4 screws above it. Then, depending on the model, either slide the grill vent to the left and pull it out, or else pull out the top part of it first. Then, if there is one, you may see an access cover behind the grill vent. Unplug the microwave, then remove the 2 screw that holds the access cover in place, and lift up and remove the cover. You should now be able to get to the light bulb.
If it's a counter-top microwave, you will have to remove the complete cover by removing the screws on the back, and possibly a couple of the sides. Note, 2 screws are special security screws to prevent the casual customer from fixing his own microwave oven! UNPLUG THE MICROWAVE FIRST, then remove the cover screws. Slide the cover back about 1/2 inch, and then it should come completely off. You should now be able to see the light bulb to change it. Then reverse the process to put the cover back on. I hope this helps.
Sounds like the magnetron is overheating. There is an automatically-resetable thermal circuit breaker attached to the magnetron. Most likely your problem is caused by either a cooling fan that is not running, or is running too slow (caused by gummed-up bearings). In some over-the-range (OTR) microwave ovens, the exhaust fan is run at a slow speed to cool the magnetron, and if it's bearings get gummed up, it won't run on the slow speed. But if it's a new OTR microwave, then the exhaust fan may be pointing the wrong way. (It is rotatable, depending on the installation). For example, if it is pointing up, but you don't have an exhaust vent over the microwave, then the air has nowhere to go, and the magnetron will overheat.
Is this a countertop microwave or an over-the-rang (OTR) microwave? If it's a countertop model, you need to completely remove the outer case to get to the lightbulb. If it's and OTR microwave, there usually is an access cover located behind the grill vent. You can remove that grille vent by removing the 2 to 4 screws above the grill vent. Then either slide the grill vent 1/4" to the left to remove it, or else (depending on the model), just pull out the top of the grill vent, followed by the bottom. Then you should be able to see the lightbulb access cover. Usually there is 1 screw that you have to remove. But unplug the microwave before you to any further! Now remove the screw, lift up and remove the cover, and you should be able to get to the light bulb.
Is this an over-the-range (OTR) microwave oven or a counter-top model? Assuming it is an OTR model, your can get to the fuse by first unplugging the microwave, then removing 2 to 4 screws over the grille vent. Remove the grille vent. Depending on the model, you either slide it to the left a little bit (1/4 inch) then pull it out, OR tilt out the top of it followed by the bottom. Now you should see 1 screw that hold the top of the control console in place. Remove it, then lift up on the control console to get past the tabs, and tilt out the top. Now, depending on the model, you may see the fuse behind the control console, or if it's not there, then remove the 1 or 2 screws that hold the metal grill vent that's located above the control console. Remove that metal grill, and your should see the fuse behind it. Sometimes that fuse blows for no good reason, other times it blows because you have a shorted high-voltage capacitor, or you may have a sticking "monitor" door switch.
Hello Lori Wilson - Thanks for your post! Generally speaking, the vent is not very strong. Try to place a single paper towel on the underside of the microwave. With the vent on, it should suction the paper towel to the bottom of the microwave. If not, I personally recommend contacting the installer to verify that the vent fan is installed properly and the exhaust outer is correct.
Brackets can remain the same throughout a particular brand for several years but will also change every year at times. Same year and same brand, I would say yes. Different year of manufacture or different brand name I would say, no it will not fit the existing brackets. If you have a particular brand in mind and have the model number of the existing OTR, it is usually possible to search out installation instructions for both at the manufacturer's website. You could then compare to see if they will match up. The two screws through the upper cabinet floor into thr top of the OTR can vary, within a particular brand even in the same year of manufacturer.
i had the same trouble, yes i used a solid bolt to hold the microwave bracket in the stud then used the biggest toggle bolts that will fit, also the cabinet will not have to be changed. it works fine, if you had a vent a hood dont forget to hook up the exhaust vent. i figure your old exhaust vent is in the cabinet like mine was