Question about Poulan/Weed Eater #Wt200 711724 24cc Gas Blower/Vac
Weed Eater SL 1500
Hi, Try the following, But make dure you can wind the spring. If not the spring is broken.
This usually happens at the most inopportune time. You go out mow the lawn, pull the rope and it comes out in your hand. Here's how to fix it yourself.
First, we'll talk about a simple rope replacement. In most cases you will have to remove the blower housing from the engine to get to the underside of the rewind starter where the rope is. We'll assume at this point that the spring is ok and you can just wind it back up again. You can check the spring by turning on the hub in a counter-clockwise direction and see if the spring gains tension. Do not try to remove the spring from its holder or you may end up having to take the mower in for service.
1. Remove the rope from around the hub. Since there is no tension, it should come right out. If you are lucky and it broke near one end, you can probably just re-use it. If it is badly frayed or too short, you will need to find a replacement at a local hardware store.
2. Attach the handle or tie a knot in one end of the rope so it will not wind all the way into the hub. You also may want to burn the rope ends to keep them from fraying and causing a problem in the future. Set the rope aside where you can grab it once you wind up the spring.
3. Wind the hub in a counter-clockwise direction using your thumb to keep it from unwinding, until the spring is tight. Then let it come back slightly so the rope hole in the starter housing lines up with the rope hole in the hub.
4. Stick the rope through both holes while holding the hub from unwinding. This is tricky because you don't want the hub to unwind on you before you have the rope secured in it. A pair of needle nose pliers or a small screwdriver or pick may help get the rope through.
5. Tie a half hitch knot in the rope after you have it through both holes. While holding the rope, release your hold on the hub and let the rope slowly pull itself back into the starter.
6. Put the blower housing back on and your ready to start the engine & mow.
Posted on Mar 23, 2009
This is a common problem on older Poulan models. Press the primer button 10 times and pull the starter rope twice, then pull the spark plug and examine it. If the plug is wet that means gas is definitely getting to the combustion chamber. Next thing is to use a compression tester. If you do not have a compression tester but have an AutoZone anywhere near you, you can get a loaner from them. Screw the compression tester into the plug hole and pull the start rope 4 times. If the tester reads anything below 90psi, you have a bad ring and will have to take the motor apart to clean the piston and ring or replace the ring.
Keep me posted on what you find, ok? I can walk you through the procedure to replace the ring if necessary. Good Luck!
Posted on Sep 17, 2009
Testimonial: "thanks...I will give it a try and keep you posted"
Try a now spark plug first. If it is still hard to start then it is probably because of low compression due to worn rings and these need to be replaced.
Posted on May 22, 2011
You may want to take it down to access the muffler, remove it and check for carbon build up on the block where the piston is visible. My Poulan leaf blower quit working one day and refused to start, even with a new spark plug and fresh 40:1 mix ratio gas. I decided to take it down completely and discovered my exhaust port was nearly blocked all the way. I removed the carbon, regapped my spark plug to 0.025, and cleaned the magnets on the fly wheel and ignition module. Once put back together, it started up on the third pull and ran like new. Forgot to mention I took apart the carburetor completely and cleaned it.
Posted on Aug 25, 2012
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 24, 2014 | Weed Eater FB25 25cc 2 Stroke Gas Powered...
Aug 10, 2014 | Leaf Blowers
May 22, 2011 | Poulan/Weed Eater No. Bvm200le 711482 24cc...
May 09, 2010 | Leaf Blowers
Apr 27, 2010 | Poulan Weed Eater Electric Blower/Vacuum...
Apr 15, 2010 | Poulan Featherlite Gas Blower, with Low...
Sep 17, 2009 | Poulan/Weed Eater #Wt200 711724 24cc Gas...
Aug 24, 2009 | ECHO, Inc. PB-251C Handheld Blower
Aug 13, 2009 | Ryobi 30 Cubic Centimeter Curved Shaft Gas...
Mar 25, 2009 | Poulan/Weed Eater No. Bvm200le 711482 24cc...
117 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: