My microwave is a Whirlpool, model #YMH6140XFB2 and I have replaced the properly fuse (20 amp). Yet, the fuse keeps blowing. I don't know if the fuse is the problem since it is a no name brand. Hopwever, the light turns on, fan turns on and display is on but only when I turn on the microwave it goes on for about 3 sec and then the fuse blows. I am thinking there is a short or malfunctioning mangetron. Does the magnetron need to be replaced?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: fuse keeps blowing.
It appears like the high voltage capacitor is shorted or the diode connected to the capacitor. You might want to check the monitoring switch as well if the capacitor and diode are good. Click here for more info on how to work around these high voltage devices.
Let me know if you need further assistance.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
All microwaves have a door open switch that keeps the magnetron from producing microwaves; this could be your problem. Most microwaves have a fuse hidden in the wiring that blows on overload like a lot of food spatter inside. They also have thermal overloads which may or may not self reset. If it died with a big flash you may be out of luck, if not you may be able to locate the fuse or thermal limit and replace it. Another sneaky part is a one time combination temperature and current overload called a thermal fuse:
These thermal fuses are marked in amperage and degrees Celsius and Amazon carries them.
Self resetting thermal overloads look like this Amazon # B00DM8JGQQ which is a Whirlpool part:
I didn't find a wiring diagram on line for your model, but you may be able to find one; whirlpool generally is pretty good with documentation. Most microwave manufacturers keep consumers as far from doing their own repairs due to the possible dangers involved.
Appliance Parts Store has a pretty good selection of replacement parts WMH31017AS Parts
There are three possibilities, a bad magnetron, high voltage capacitor, and diode. In rare cases the high voltage transformer will be an issue but unlikely, if the microwave oven is more than 5 years old consideration should be given in replacement.
There is a slo-blow 20 amp fuse inside of the ac power panel. You will have to remove the front and locate the fuse inside. This fuse suplies the power to the Traveling Wave Tube that spplies the microwave energy.
9 amps is approx. correct. Does magnatron make an odd sound when running? If not, you will need to discharge cap then clean terminals with alcahol. Replace diode as well. Should run correctly.If blows again, replace magnatron. Suggest you put a 12 amp fast blow fuse in circuit and nor a 20 fuse.If you dont have a grill or an oven, use a 10 amp fuse.
Chances are if the varistor fails, it fails drastically causing a short circuit across the supply. It will sit across the supply (it will look like a thick ceramic capacitor) and you can check for continuity after isolating that at one end. If it shows low resistance (it should show almost open circuit with a Digital meter), replace it.
It need not be the culprit. If you are familiar working with High voltage circuits ( they are lethal inside a microwave ovens as the current capability is high here), you can discharge the doubler capacitor and isolate the high voltage diode to check for shorts in the HT area.