Question about Microwave Ovens
Check the high voltage fuse between the transformer and the capacitor, had the same problem with mineand this fixed it. Not an ordinary fuse though (5Kv 0.8a), cost me about a fiver.
Posted on Nov 02, 2008
Confirm 110-120 volts AC is entering the primary coil on the high voltage transformer....meter works but can be fooled, I usually rig up a light socket and household light bulb and hook that to the 2 input wires for the transformer and see if the light works or not when you run the microwave....can even set a power level and watch the light go on and off. Discharge the capacitor first before attempting any checks or tests.
Scary but works!....
If ok, put those 2 wires back on the transformer. Discharge the capacitor .
Remove the 2 wires going to the magnetron....run the microwave a few seconds ( 2-3 ) and remove power....again discharge the high voltage capacitor . If you got a good crack&spark when you discharge the cap the second time you are creating high voltage but not using it ( bad magnetron or loose High Voltage wire somewhere )....if you get no crack&spark you are not creating high voltage.
How to check a common high voltage diode - click here. Check the diode with one end off/disconnected....should show continuity one way, reverse your meter leads and none the other way.....many meters are not high/good enough and often show no continuity ( infinity ) in both directions. A full continuity reading in both directions (0 ohms) on the diode may be shorted/bad one!
Many microwaves however have a defect in the microwave distribution system which causes the magnetron tube to overheat and cut out and/or damage the diode.
Posted on Oct 16, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 05, 2011 | Kenwood Microwave Ovens
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARRAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
Jan 04, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jan 04, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 28, 2010 | Emerson Microwave Ovens
May 01, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
May 25, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 25, 2017 | Microwave Ovens
814 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!