Question about Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic Breeze? QUADRA GP Silent (SI861) (2 Pack) Air Purifier
i have 2 units, and had this same issue happen 3 times. Tonight it happened with a forth, last time i had to talk to management to get it replaced outside of warranty. Ionic breeze has major quality issues, and I would NOT buy anything else from sharper image. They also reduced the warranty from the original model drastically. for the price these were, they should be covered lifetime to show their commitment to their product. there is also a class action lawsuit against sharper image, for their false claims for the product...i believe sharper image chose to settle.
Posted on May 31, 2008
Ionic Breeze products are no longer being supported because Sharper Image has gone into bankruptcy because the units were proven to be ineffective for cleaning the air by Consumer Reports magazine and by EPA studies. In face they have proven that ionizers can be harmful to use if you have breathing problems.
Here is an article about Sharper Image
Here is the EPA article
Posted on Jul 13, 2008
Okay, after working on my Ionic Breeze Quadra I have fixed it. My problem was it wouldn't turn on even though the fins were clean.
2. Turn the machine upside down (there are 4 screws holding the bottom stand on) remove the screws
3. once bottom is off there are 2 screws sideways helping the hold the 2 sides together. Remove those 2 screws.
4. Turn the machine uprgiht and remove the middle fins (the ones you clean)
5. Remove the 4 screws that are deep in the 4 holes when you look down inside (you can't see the screws, I had to feel for them with a phillips head narrow screwdriver)
(it will be easier if your screwdriver has magnetic head for next step.)
6. after removing the 4 screws gently work lose the top (part that has the little lights and turn on push switch)
7. turn the breeze on its side, you will find about 5 or 6 tiny screws holding the two sides of the outside louver case together. Remove all these screws. You will be thankful for the magnetic end, I have small fingers and still had a problem catching the little screws.
8. You want to take off the screws from both sides but only remove one side.
9. Being careful of the wires (I left that side alone) I worked from the wire free side and using a bottle of rubbing alcohal and lots and lots of q-tips I gentle cleaned off all the gunk on all the little metal pieces at the bottom of the breeze (on the inside where the wires are). Clean as good as you can, you will find the metal pieces covered with what looks like tar but it comes off with the alcohal.
10. Using a can of 'canned air' like you'd use for a computer, gently blow the rest of the breeze parts getting all the dust away but being careful not to damage the electronics. (there are a lot of little computer boards). I didn't find any dust in the electrical parts in the very bottom of the breeze, just above where the fins are and some at the top where the controls are.
11. I cleaned the 1/2 I took completely off with some rubbing alcohal, gets that **** off pretty good but didn't mess with the side with the wires, just blew the dust out, gently cleaned a bit and on the outside.
12. To put back together, first I gently put the outer middle pieces together and then gently put the control top back on and replaced those 4 screws. Then I put the 10 or 12 tiny screws back into the middle, then the 2 screws in the bottom sides and 4 screws putting the stand back on. I stood it up, plugged it in (make sure its dry) and turned it on and the light came on and it is working great.
I've had mine for 3 years so I think they occasionally need a thorough cleaning. Except for the canned air I bought nothing else. Everyone has rubbing alcohal and q-tips in their homes. When I first started I didn't know how to dismantle it and tried to clean the inside with long q-tips but it was too hard. Those little metal pieces in the bottom make some sort of connection to the fins we pull out and clean so I guess they need good contact.
I hope I've helped all of you with the problem of the Ionic Breeze Quadra and I suspect any other iconic breeze type machine by sharper image pretty much comes apart the same way and may have the same problems. I don't know how to post this so that everyone can see it as a general solution. Maybe you guys at FixYa can help with that. --- Harry Potter Without the Wand (and a female to boot!)
Posted on Mar 08, 2009
Warranty on these units expired on the 30th of May, 2008 when the company's assets were acquired and liquidated by Hilco Consumer Capital, Gordan Brothers, and Bluestar Alliance. All warranties became void with the bankrupt status.
With regard to the unit that you cleaned, I am assuming that you cleaned it the usual way you always have and it is now making a statical noise or a vibrating kind of noise, correct?
While the unit is off, take out the insert, pick up the unit and turn it upside down. You will hear some beads moving from the elevated end moving towards the bottom. Turn it upside down again and let the beads move to the bottom again. After doing this a few more times turn it upright and put the insert back in. You just cleaned the static lines. Turn the unit back on and see if the noise is still present. If so, try cleaning the insert again and after drying, see if the noise is still present. It is usually some dirt present somewhere that causes the noise to persist. If you have completed everything and the noise still persists you need a new insert which you can get on ebay.
Posted on Jul 04, 2009
I have been doing research on this unit. I read that only every other grill is suppose to collect. The remaining grills increase the electrostatic charge making the collection plates, the ones that get dirty more effective. So the bottom line is there is nothing wrong with your unit.
Posted on Aug 03, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
May 05, 2015 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Sep 08, 2010 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Nov 14, 2009 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Jul 01, 2009 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Oct 14, 2008 | Air Purifiers
Sep 27, 2014 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
25 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!