Question about Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

My whirlpool gold microwave model GH4184XSB-1 stopped working after a paper plate caught fire inside. I replaced the wiring going to the thermal overload and the thermal overload but it still doesn't work unless I jumper the overload? Is it connected to another overload in series? All fuses checked out ok.

Posted by on

2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

I presumed the same same thing. If I jumped it, it had to be that overload. I replaced it twice and then checked the overloads after powering them up. Something else (ground) is causing them to open up. I've taken it to a Sears repair as I don't have the parts readily available and they do. Thanks though.

Posted on Oct 20, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Whirlpool Master
  • 8,858 Answers

Your thermal overload (thermostat) is bad if the oven powers up when you jump across it.

Are you sure the thermostat is the correct part for your model?

It should be part # 8183703. You can get that here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Oct 20, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

2 slices of bread wrapped in paper towel microwave set on defrost set 35 seconds caught fire


Microwaves work by friction. They blast water molecules in the food so they move fast, just like rubbing your hands together makes them hot. Some types of microwave in defrost mode actually apply FULL POWER for a short period of time so to make the product warm to the touch. This heat then penetrates down to the core of the food, ensuring full defrost. In your case the heat was sufficient enough to heat the dry paper towel to set it on fire.
Bread is better defrosted on the low power setting as sliced bread is very thin. Items should only be defrosted on the defrost setting that are thick and need to be completely defrosted on the inside. Remember microwaves only penetrate the surface of food, making that hot. Thermal conduction does the rest.
You should never use paper towels in a microwave unless the instructions for doing the food say so. You wouldn't put a paper towel in a gas or electric oven, so don't put them in a microwave.

Feb 18, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a whirlpool microwave model WMH31017AS1 it turns on but heat up is there anything i can do


All microwaves have a door open switch that keeps the magnetron from producing microwaves; this could be your problem. Most microwaves have a fuse hidden in the wiring that blows on overload like a lot of food spatter inside. They also have thermal overloads which may or may not self reset. If it died with a big flash you may be out of luck, if not you may be able to locate the fuse or thermal limit and replace it. Another sneaky part is a one time combination temperature and current overload called a thermal fuse:
51cl8ujqerl._sl1100_.jpgThese thermal fuses are marked in amperage and degrees Celsius and Amazon carries them.
Self resetting thermal overloads look like this Amazon # B00DM8JGQQ which is a Whirlpool part:
61udcxeol-l._sl1500_.jpg
I didn't find a wiring diagram on line for your model, but you may be able to find one; whirlpool generally is pretty good with documentation. Most microwave manufacturers keep consumers as far from doing their own repairs due to the possible dangers involved.
Appliance Parts Store has a pretty good selection of replacement parts
WMH31017AS Parts

Jan 30, 2015 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

While baking a sweet potato, the potato exploded and caught on fire. The microwave no longer works.a fire bro


I haven't heard of such a thing. You must have cooked it until there was no moisture left in the potato. That would also account for the failure of the oven. It would be the same as no load in the oven.
A thermal protect part is your current problem.

Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My whirlpool microwave model gh4184xsb needed a new cooktop light bulb so I removed the cover to replace it. I didn't unplug it (BAD!) and there were sparks and the microwave lost power. We repla


there are short. go to www.repairclinic.com for to get the parts.
2) test the switch door for short and replace see the diagram
3) test the high voltage capacitor+ high voltage diode
see the diagram

7_15_2012_12_42_08_pm.gif7_15_2012_12_42_27_pm.gif7_15_2012_12_42_40_pm.gif7_15_2012_12_43_03_pm.gif7_15_2012_12_43_25_pm.jpg

Jul 15, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Paper caught fire in microwave. microwave power


check breaker in your home electrical panel...make sure all are on

Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Potato caught fire during cooking. Microwave has


Hello, inside most microwaves, there is a thermal fuse, that if something in the cooking cavity is on fire, it will melt the thermal fuse, if it gets hot enough, thus breaking the power to the unit shutting it off. This sounds like what has happened to yours, simply replacing it will correct the problem. It is usually located near a cavity exhaust point. If you aren't comfortable doing this, as it requires removing the outer cover, while unplugged, and locating/replacing it, take it to a appliance service co. This will of course cost more, if you do it yourself, make sure you provide all of your make/model/serial/anything else, that will identify your unit, and call/go online to a parts retailer, and you should be able to get it done fairly cheap.

Hope this helps, and thank you.

Mar 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Small 10 sec fire in microwave


it may be ok , but it should be checked for internal damage

Dec 10, 2008 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Panasonic nn-t754. A paper plate caught fire and a ceramic plate broke it two while in the microwave for about 45 seconds.


Was the ceramic plate part of the microwave or a plate form the kitchen?

If it wasn't the microwave plate, it should be fine. You should be able to be sure it's all clean and use it as usual.

A microwave oven should of course never be left running unattended, especially when using any paper products.

Paper plates and paper towels can sometimes have small amounts of impurities which can ignite.

This is covered on page 1 in your owner's manual, which can be downloaded here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Aug 07, 2008 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

3 Answers

Whirlpool mh3184xp- microwave and lights turn on by themselves


inside microwave oven may be wiring damage check wiring and contorl circuit,

Nov 12, 2007 | Whirlpool MH3184XP Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

329 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8858 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

sonic boom...
sonic boom...

Level 3 Expert

1557 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...