Question about Televison & Video

1 Answer

A faint thin, line across my toshiba 32 inch. It was built in 1989, but I don't have idea what model it is. I replaced a few caps around the verticle IC, and the IC itself. I still get the same thing, any suggestions?

Posted by on

  • 4 more comments 
  • oneholycow Oct 13, 2008

    No. It all began when it just shutdown. The screen would go completely black. We would turn it off, and in a couple of hours, we turn it back on and it was up and running again. We kept on using it, until I had time to look more into it. I found a video cable that came off from the jack. I replace this cable, and I thought it was fine. But, a then started to hear this pop, and the screen would go off again. We would turn it off again, and it would come on again for few hours when it would go off (screen black). A couple of days later, I turned it on again, and I would only see the thin line across on the middle of my screen. I check a couple of sites on the web, and said that it was my vertical IC and some caps around it, but I did that, nothing. It still the same. Is there something that I can do with the CRT?

  • oneholycow Oct 13, 2008

    At the moment, I see a suspicious cap near the flyback transformer. I just noticed that it has a black chalky substance on the side. I'll replace this next. I have checked several resistors around the area, and they seem check okay. The fuses look good, at the moment I'm thinking of replacing the cap and see what happens. Do you guys think that would have cause the problem in the first place?
    The thin, line appears across the screen when I turn on the t.v. and it's about 1/8 of inch thick. I'm not familar with the convergence chip. Do you guys know what part number it would have or where it would be located?
    I'm sorry I can provide an exact model number cause the labels that were on the back of the set have fallen off. I just remember that it was built in 1989 because I check it the label once, and that's when I graduated from high school...

  • oneholycow Oct 13, 2008

    I just noticed a number on the inside of the t.v. case. It's CF3254H, the letter "H" is pretty faint, but that's what I think it could be. Does that help for model number?

  • jason May 11, 2010

    whoops , if the line is from top to bottom vertical is ok if from left to right then vertical is not

    have you checked the fuses by the trans former that supply voltage to the convergence chip?

    also could you look to see what model it is?

  • jason May 11, 2010

    if the vertical line goes all the way across then its not the vertical deflection IC .

    have you first checked for any indications of a burnt component, resistors by convergence chip, flyback transformer voltages?

  • jason May 11, 2010

    have you looked at the CRT its self?


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 899 Answers

The conversion chip is powered by seperate power from the transfomer + -- volts
here is I believe what your conversion chip # is stk392-110t and here is the NTE specs.
you can use the specs. to check voltage pins, ect.. ,if that is the numbers.
to see if the chip is faulty then check resistors, caps , and voltage to the chip , a pr or fuse may have blown for the - and + voltage to the chip. if it is bad it would be wise to replace the vertical deflection chip as well ( hopefully yours is still ok) , because of the vertical control in the conversion chip.
you can also check for the power on the wires from the CRT board that comes from the flyback transformer ( NOT the HIGH VOLTAGE wire ).
also after you have unplugged the tv and dicharged the flyback to the chassi ground you should check the components on the crt ( cathode ray tube ) board for any bad measurements of the components.

Posted on Oct 14, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have the Samsung 50" projection HDTV HLT5075S-

If the the thin lines you describes here, are across the screen, and it is present all around the screen, and the spacing between them is at about 1 inch apart [whit thin lines along with picture], the fault is due to some electrolytic capacitor/s at its video output supply voltage. If the screen voltage has became more than normal, this type of fault can occur too. Anyway, your TV needs a through checkup. Check this link. One among the posts there have details about these kind of fault. Technically, this fault is called 'vertical retrace lines', Check the link. If you wish to get any more assistance, be free to do it by comments here.
Products powered by electricity should be serviced or repaired only by experienced professional technicians. Any attempt to service or repair the product by anyone else could result in serious injury or death. If you are not familiar with electronics, do not attempt to repair. Whether you suffer fatal electrical shock. Instead, contact the nearest service center.

May 29, 2013 | Televison & Video

4 Answers

Panasonic 27 inch TV Model CT-2701G built 9/2003


Try removing and reinstalling the cables from the back of your TV.

Keep us posted, thanks for using Fixya!

Jul 14, 2008 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Thin blue lines across the screen.6or 8 of them 3 or 4 inches apart. everything else works great still perfect picture

You need to turn down the Blue Screen Drive control a notch, Blue tube has built up higher then R/G over Driving.

Sep 27, 2010 | Sony Grand WEGA KDP-65WS550 65" Rear...

1 Answer

2005 sony 55'' sony wega. a very thin blue line is

Are you using a cable or sat box. If so then you are selecting channel using the tuner in the box and sending a constant signal to the TV eithir on one channel of the tv tuner or one of the other input of the tv. If this is the case I would suspect the box and not the tv because you say it is only on some channels.. If you are using the tuner in the tv with cable or antenna directly in I would say the main board that has the tuner on it needs replaced. Without a specific model number thats the best I can do. Hope this helps.

Nov 25, 2009 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Picture distorted

this a problem with the motherboard. not the lamp.

Feb 05, 2009 | Toshiba 56HM195 56" Projection HDTV

1 Answer

Toshiba 52WM48 - Dark line across top of screen about 4 inches

replace the vertical ic, LA 7833 and four capacitors near it, i encountered this last two days.change the parts and it ok now.
cost of this parts is about $20.00

Jan 22, 2009 | Toshiba 42H83 42" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

Faint red lines in a curved arch like pattern

Is there a cheaper solution? $600 sounds like you just throw it away to me...

Aug 02, 2008 | Sony Grand WEGA KDF-42WE655 42" Rear...

1 Answer

JVC TV 27" Black line on top of screen

This is for the original problem.. Not the second post.

It's a problem in the horizontal deflection circuit. The parts will be available, but you will be in for some daignostic repairs also to find out why it failing or if it has failed on it's own.
There should be a few caps near the IC (an LA7840) that could also be causing the problem. Click the link, it will make it easier to locate the part inside.

This is the kind of repair best left to a TV tech, but get it done now and it won't cost anywhere near as much as it will later.

Apr 18, 2008 | Toshiba 42H81 42" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

Toshiba - 50H13 Projection TV

There is a large metal case behind the input board in the back of the set called the hyper board that needs to be replaced.Good Luck

Oct 07, 2007 | Toshiba 42H83 42" Rear Projection...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Televison & Video Logo

Related Topics:

74 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Televison & Video Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

69654 Answers

Electro Med Services...
Electro Med Services...

Level 3 Expert

6364 Answers


Level 3 Expert

63291 Answers

Are you a Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides