An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
An expert that has over 10 points.
An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.
Re: Start menu keeps flashing on/off,dell laptop.
Try booting in safemode. restart your computer and tap F8 repeatedly at boot up. select safemode and select windows xp.
If it does the same thing in safemode check the windows key on your keyboard. it may be stuck.
If it does not. try using system restore. start>all programs> accessories> system tools> system restore. rsetore computer to a few days back or before the problem begun
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Click on the start menu (windows icon in lower left corner) then control panel. In control panel, click add / remove programs. Find Adobe Flash player and select it then click remove. It should walk you through the removal process from there.
Please leave feedback if you found this helpful. Thanks!
First, I want to know if you sees the Dell logo after turning on the laptop? If yes then this is no boot issue.
1. Immediately run the PSA. Make sure laptop is off. Press and hold down the Fn key, while holding down Fn key press the power button at the same time just once. Once the Dell screen loaded you can now let go of the Fn key. Check if the PSA will run short test for the LCD, RAM and HDD. When full color displays on the screen just press Y. PSA will continue. Just take note of any error code will appear on the screen such as 0141, 0142 and 0146 these are HDD failure errors which means HDD needs replacement. If the test says no errors found then proceed to step 2;
2. Try restarting the laptop once you see dell logo then keep tapping F8. Select last known good configuration. Press enter key. Just wait and check if laptop will load Windows. If not then, restart laptop keep tapping F8 try to select safe mode check if it will load Windows. If not then prepare the Windows OS disc the one came with your laptop.
3. While laptop is on insert the Windows OS disc. Restart the computer. On the Dell screen keep tapping on F12 to show boot menu. In the boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive. Press enter then keep tapping on space bar until it will say Windows loading files, please wait.
4. In the User Interface it will show you some options to select. Once the Install screen comes up look on the lower part select Repair Your Computer. If will ask you to do Startup Repair, please do start up repair. If fails try the System Restore. If fails then step 5;
5. If you have important files in your HDD then back up your files first. After backing up of files you can now install the Windows OS. Here is the process in installing the Windows OS. Insert the Windows OS disc, restart the laptop, keep tapping F12 on Dell screen, on boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive.Install the Windows OS. Just complete the installation.After the installation install the laptop drivers.
When you say screen goes very dark when it booted to windows so it means that when you turned on the laptop when the dell logo flashes the screen was fine? if thats the case could you please try this. after turning on the laptop you will see the dell logo flashes immediately keep tapping on F2 and then it will show you the BIOS setup utility, please check if in BIOS setup display goes dark as well. If yes then try this, after turning on the computer when dell logo flashes keep tapping on F12 to boot menu then select utility partition to run the diagnostics. Please run test on the LCD check if display goes black when running the LCD test. Then try this when you sees the dell logo keep tapping on F8 to boot in safe mode check if in safe mode display goes very dark. Try this too, boot in F8 then select last known good configuration check if the settings on your display will be fix. If you can boot to safe mode no problem then uninstall the display or video driver. then restart computer.
You can also try to connect an external monitor if you have one just try to isolate if issue is on the LCD or the video card. If the display is dark as well in external monitor then video card needs to be reseated if fails then replaced. In situation like this most video cards is integrated to the motherboards. So replace motherboard.
On your laptop, press and hold the <Fn> key while powering the system on. This will initiate a diagnostic routine to check your hardware.Since this is a new purchase, call Dell about this issue and relay results of diagnostics, even if no errors are detected and diags pass. Your responses are intended to improve the level of service provided. Please show your appreciation by rating your experience. Thank You.