a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If there's no other appliance on that circuit, then please stop trying to use the microwave. You could be dealing with a dead short, and those sometimes leave people,,,DEAD!
I would be really cautious about trying to use it anymore without checking it first for a direct short.
You need to allow the circuit breaker more time to reset, flip to off and give it 2 minutes, then turn it back on. You should feel the distinctive click, as well as hear it if it's working properly.
Circuit breakers can go bad after repeated failures within a circuit.
The outlet could also be damaged now, but normally it's the circuit breaker getting too hot with repeated failures.
If there are a number of other items on the same circuit, then try the microwave in a plug that you know has no other items being used at the same time, preferably while wearing heavy duty leather insulating gloves to protect yourself from any possible shock. If the circuit breaker blows, you've got a possible electrical short within the microwave. Good luck!
Funny that a cleaning would revive a totally dead microwave! Never would have guessed. On microwaves manufactured by whirlpool, F6 apparently means "Microwave relay failure. Check wiring to relay 4903 for short circuits." Talk to your local service shop and see if they will replace a microwave relay... they should be able to give you a parts and labour estimate before they begin so you will know what you are in for.
The main fuse or the thermal cutout is probably blown. If the main fuse is blown, most likely the high voltage capacitor is shorted and must be replaced. If this is the case, it's a good idea to also replace the high voltage diode because it took a large over-current hit before the fuse blew. Be sure the oven is unplugged before measuring the resistance of the fuse or capacitor (the diode should read open in both directions because the forward voltage is more than a typical ohmmeter can put out). (Note: replacing the fuse without identifying and fixing the short or overload will simply waste the new fuse. It's not like the old farmhouse with one fuse for a dozen outlets going out because one item too many was plugged in.) The capacitor is available on Amazon for less than $17 (be sure the voltage and uF values match the one in your oven), the diode is about half of that, and the fuse should be under $3.
If the thermal cutout is blown, check the magnetron cooling provisions - make sure the fan turns freely, the blades are clean, and all vents are clean. After replacing the thermal cutout, verify that magnetron cooling fan runs at speed when the oven is running. Keep your hands and tools out of the oven if you are testing it with the cover off. The high voltage side can be energized by as much as 1800 Volts. An arc from this can cause serious damage or personal injury. Amazon com 0CZZW1H004S Kenmore Microwave Capacitor Drawing Hi Home...
Probably a short inside the microwave circuitry. I had a Daewoo and had nothing but trouble with it. Main board went out in a year, then again in another year. Finally went to Home Depot where I bought it and was told that they had nothing but trouble with them and quit selling them. Now I have a GE Spacemaker.
If you have a sentimental attachment to this microwave (lots of the older ones feel so much more "quality" than the flimsy throw away versions offered today), then you might want to pick up a service manual to diagnose your issue. Here is one being offered and it has a troubleshooting guide. http://www.analogalley.com/osccart/index.php?manufacturers_id=61