Reinstalling Windows Thanks! You just wrote, "just format the pc and reinstall the new copy of windows xp.thanks." How do I format the pc and reinstall? Do I insert the disk after the computer boots into Windows, or do I interrupt Windows and boot from the BIOS setup, then format and reinstall?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Transferring file from your computer to external hard drive is very easy, just copy and paste all the files you needed to the external hard drive.
Reinstalling Windows XP would be quite difficult. Make sure you have Windows XP installer CD and all the utility hardware driver of your computer e.g. Chipset driver, Sound driver, VGA driver, WAN driver, LAN driver and others. If you do not have the Utility drivers, just download the complete set of utility driver in the internet. Most of them are free to downloads.
How to reinstall Windows XP operating system or installing fresh copy of Windows XP on your computer.
If your Windows XP operating system had problem due to corrupted files, viruses problem or you want to upgrade your system. This procedure will guide you in reinstalling your current Windows XP or installing fresh copy.
After this installing process, you need all your hardware drivers like Chipset Intel driver, LAN driver, Sound driver, WAN driver, Webcam driver and others for the computer to be fully operational. Otherwise, do not proceed on reinstalling you operating system if your do not have those hardware drivers.
CDROM drive is required for installing Windows XP. If you don't have in your notebook computer, use external CDROM drive to connect in your computer using a USB cable.
1. To start with, you need to back up your in blank CD all your important files before you begin installation produre because all the data will be wipe out.
2. When ready, start your computer and when booting press F2 to BIOS setting.
3. On BIOS menu, choose the BOOT setting and change the priority boot to CDROM, exit and save.
In some laptops, you can skip this BIOS setting process by repeatedly pressing F9 key or F10key when booting your computer and it will run boot priority on CD.
4. Once you exit from BIOS, you computer will reboot and a message will appear " Press any key to boot from CD", press any key to enter into WINDOWS XP SET UP.
5. Belows instruction messages will appear:
* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER * To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R * To quit set up without installing Windows XP, press F3
Press ENTER to initiate the installation.
6. You will go to Windows XP license agreement and press F8 to agree.
7. You will ask you if you want to REPAIR or REINSTALL the operating system. It will appear like this. Just press ESC to proceed.
A. To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R. B. To continue installing fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
From repairing your operating system, it will not removed all your files and other software installed in your computer including your hardware drivers installed. Just fixing the operating system.
For reinstalling the operating system, you need to back up all you files because it will wipe out all you datas in your computer.
8. After that, it ask you where partition you want to install the operating system. The message will display like this :
C : Partition1 [NTFS] D : Partition2 [NTFS] Unpartitioned Space
Use the directional key to navigate and choose C: Partition1 if you want reinstalling Windows XP and press enter.
If you want clean copy of Windows XP, you need to delete both partition by pressing L and install clean copy at Unpartitioned space. By these procedure, you will have C: drive only. D: Drive is delete.
9. After choosing the desire partition. this will appear :
* Format the partition using NTFS files system * Format the partition using the NFTS file
I suggest to choose the first line which is the quick format. The 2nd line take too much time to install the operating system. Press to initiate the installation and it will be finish and reboot automatically. PART OF WINDOWS INSTALLATION IS FINISHED.
If you had interrupted installation which is asking for certain driver file, your CD installer maybe damage which cause files to be unreadable. Try to replace the new Windows XP installer CD to proceed and until finished installing OS.
10. Once it reboots, this time do not boot from CD or do not press any key to go to PART2 OF WINDOWS XP INSTALLATION PROCESS.
11. On the opening, regional and laguage option will appear, jus click next.
12. The it will ask to type your name & organization. Put you name and company if any and click next
13. Then, it will ask for CD key and type the 25 character CD key and click next
14. Then it will ask for computer name. You can change or leave it and click next.
15. Then, set your date and time zone and click next.
16. Then, it will ask you for workgroup and computer domain, just leave it and click next.
17. Now wait until the installation process end and it will again restart automatically.
18. Again, do not boot from CD and display setting will appear. Just click OK.
19. welcom to Microsoft Windows screen will appear. Just click next.
20. Helps protect your PC will appear and choose Turn on Automatic Updates ( Only if you install genuine Windows XP). Otherwise, I suggest to choose "Not right not" if you are installing copy only of Windows XP.
21. Who will use this computer message will appear. Just type your name on the first box and click next.
Also for your reference, here is the video for your convenient .
A thank you message will appear, Just click next and it is finished.
I hope it helps you and thank you for using FixYa !
For repairing the operating system here is the blog as other want it.
As per others demand, here is the video for Windows 7 and Windows Vista Operating system
Reinstalling Windows XP on an Acer Aspire 3000 is fairly straightforward. You may need to reinstall Windows XP due to hardware failure, a virus infection, major hardware changes or a hard drive upgrade. Whatever the reason, you can do the reinstall yourself at home. The reinstall will take anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours, depending on the size of your hard drive. Be aware that reinstalling Windows XP will format your hard drive, getting rid of all data on, so you'll want to back it all up on a media device.
Back up all data on your computer before reinstalling.
Insert the Windows XP disk and restart your computer.
Press any key when prompted to begin running the disk.
Press F8 to agree to the terms of service.
Choose the partition you want to reinstall Windows XP on. This is usually "C:" for most users.
Choose the type of format. You can choose either "Quick" or "Full" for NTFS systems. A quick format only takes a few minutes less than the full format.
Wait for the format to complete. The Windows XP installation wizard will begin. You will be asked to choose your time zone, computer name, and to input any network information. Otherwise, the reinstall will run by itself.
Your trying to reinstall Windows XP from cd on your emahcine computer and from what I understand part of the way through the installation of XP you recieve a blue screen? Am I correct?
If so then their can be a couple of things wrong here.
One your cd drive is not reading the cd correctly try cleaning the lense on your cd drive or change the drive and use a different drive. Second your Windows XP cd is bad, screatched or smudged. Try cleaning your cd or make a copy of it on a friends machine and use the new one. If you tried all of these and you are still getting the blue screen repost for more help.
Do it this way, go into bios and check "boot from disk" put your disk with Operating system in the drive, and restart, you will get some choices here you click on install, then it will ask you if you want to format, do a quick format, NTFS. it will format "wipe out " the old stuff, and begin reinstalling the new operating, dont try and save anything as you will just be dragging the ols problems along with you. Get your motherboard disks ready in case it asks for a raid driver or some Motherboard driver. and that is it , in around 45 minutes you will be done, you will need the serial numbers from your copy of windows. Have fun, when done just downlosd the updates, have fun Gym