Question about Plumbing

1 Answer

Need to find information on gate valves

I am a college student and currently learning on how a cast iron gate valve works i need diagrams to print off for my portfolio and to learn how to take one apart and how to maintain a gate valve i would be greatful for any information thanks

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 100 times.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 171 Answers

Hi robert garet,

I'm Harvey the Master Plumber.

Your problem is: You are a college student and currently learning on how a cast iron gate valve works you need diagrams to print off for my portfolio and to learn how to take one apart and how to maintain a gate valve you would be greatful for any information thanks

For small valves, it's just a mater of unscrewing the bonnet (top part with handle), with larger valves, you remove the bolts around the bonnet. Always turn off the pressure in the line before maintenance. If there's a leak where the shaft comes out of the bonnet then you need to replace the packing material inside the bonnet. This is usually a good time to put some apropriate lubricant on the threads at the botom of the shaft. That's about it from a practical point. I don't happen to have any pictures but you can take them yourself at any plumbing supply or they might let you fotocopy the expanded pictures in their parts book. They're usually happy to oblige.

Feel free contact me again!
Please give me a rating here at fixya before you sign off
Thank you,
Harvey your Master Plumber

Posted on Oct 15, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Gnutti Sebastiano thermostatic mixing valve #1559-6I. Where can I get a clear diagram of parts and disassembly instructions?

I am having the same issue with their 5 way diverter valve #2228-0. I've disassembled and removed the mixing valve and it seems to be in order but after a minute or so it goes luke warm. I've cleaned the assembly with CLR and it helped some but I still can't find the problem. All other fixtures in the bathroom are in good working order. I'm headed to the plumbing supply house next week and will let you know if they have any ideas.


Dec 20, 2015 | Plumbing

1 Answer

My pipes in bathroom burst 2 days ago so I shut off water, today fixed pipes they are fine now but when I turned the handle for the main the water didn't come back on at all! there isnt even a trickle...

Sounds like a dropped gate valve. meaning the part that blocks the water flow has broken from the valve stem and handle. You will need to turn off the supply to your main, usually a curb box outside to remove and replace the gate. I would suggest replacing the gate valve with an appropriate ball valve to avoid this happening in the future.
good luck!

Feb 24, 2015 | Plumbing

1 Answer

I will refraze my question,How do I know what size of shut off angle valves to purchase for my bathroom and kitchen before i take them off to replace?

ya need to know what size and type of lines are running to your fixtures. (Copper, Pex, Iron, 3/8, 1/2", 3/4" ect) then the other end for faucets most common is 3/8" compression to 1/2" FIP feedline..

Nov 17, 2014 | Plumbing

3 Answers

Ball valve leaking

Probably need to re-pack the stem with stem packing thread

May 11, 2014 | Plumbing

1 Answer

Dripping bath faucet circa 1985. Can't ID model but appears to have 2 screws holding front of casting to main body for disassembly . Faceplate is square in shape and black in color HELP!

  • 1 Close the hot and cold water valves in the cabinet beneath the sink to shut the water supply off to the bath faucet.
  • 2 Remove the bath faucet's handle to access the valve cartridge. The faucet handle is removed by first detaching the handle's insert cap using the tip of a screwdriver or utility knife to expose the handle screw. Remove the handle screw with a Phillips screwdriver, then pull the handle off the valve cartridge stem.
  • 3 Loosen and remove the cartridge valve nut with an adjustable wrench. Some faucet models retain the valve cartridge with a snap ring and are removed with snap ring pliers.
  • 4 Pull the old valve cartridge out of the bath faucet base, using pliers.
  • 5 Insert the new replacement valve cartridge into the faucet housing and replace the nut or snap ring removed in Step 3, using an adjustable wrench or snap ring pliers.
  • 6 Reinstall the faucet's handle onto the valve cartridge post, then secure the handle's screw, using a screwdriver.
  • 7 Replace the insert cap into the handle to cover the handle's screw hole.
  • 8 Turn on the hot and cold water valves beneath the sink to restore the water supply.
  • Jun 15, 2011 | Kohler Plumbing

    1 Answer

    Shower was leaking & tried to take apart.

    those are just trim kit numbers those do not show the valve.

    Apr 07, 2010 | Moen 3175 Legend One Handle Shower Faucet...

    1 Answer

    I have a kohler cast iron enamel sink. The


    Dec 25, 2009 | Plumbing

    1 Answer

    How do check if the siloned valve works or not

    One way to test a solenoid valve is to remove the two wires from the valve's electrical terminals and connect (from a known good source) its operating voltage to these terminal leads.

    If the valve makes a clicking sound that tells you the piston is moving. You'll need to connect water to it to see if it allows water to pass through when the piston moves.

    This test will both verify the electrical and mechanical operation of a solenoid valve.

    If the valve fails either test, often disassembling the valve and thoroughly cleaning it will resolve the problem. There may also be o-rings, washers, springs, etc. which might need replacing.


    Oct 03, 2009 | Plumbing

    1 Answer

    Stem Valve is frozen on my 3175 Legend.

    Here is a possible solution for you. First go out and buy a Moen cartridge puller tool like this:


    Next follow these steps:

    1. Turn off the water to the valve.
    2. Install puller and rotate cartridge several times.
    3. Gently pull on cartridge while slowly turning.
    This should work. If the center of the valve pulls out continue below with these suggestions:

    1. Remove center piece from tool.
    2. Place the brass feral to the end of the tool as shown.
    3. Insert this part of the tool into the valve all the way as far as it can go.
    4. Turn the tool until you hear a click or tool feels like it turns the valve.
    5. Pull on the tool gently while turning.
    This should get the job done.

    Also here is some information for you about your valve:

    Moen 3175

    Hope this helps and please rate this suggestion.

    Dec 08, 2008 | Moen 3175 Legend One Handle Shower Faucet...

    Not finding what you are looking for?
    Plumbing Logo

    Related Topics:

    227 people viewed this question

    Ask a Question

    Usually answered in minutes!

    Top Plumbing Experts

    Donni Steen

    Level 3 Expert

    659 Answers

    Brad Brown

    Level 3 Expert

    14360 Answers

    Tom Chichester

    Level 3 Expert

    27856 Answers

    Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

    Answer questions

    Manuals & User Guides