Question about Plumbing

2 Answers

How do I disassamble my one-handle kitchen faucet?

The faucet is a very standard and good one, but due to water hardness became very difficult to turn.

Posted by on

  • ywlee522 May 20, 2009

    This does not really help.

    My american standard single control faucet leaks from where the handle meets the capthat covers the cartridge. How do I disassemble the handle to see whatis wrong and to replace parts if possible? What kind of screws do Ineed? and where to look? Thanks.



2 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 374 Answers

First ensure you have shut the water supply off at the stops- the small valves located underneath most plumbing appliances. Since we are speaking generically my comments may be a bit different depending on make and model. Most single handle faucets have a snap on cover over the base where the handle connects to the valve base. Pop this cover off and it will expose a screw that holds the handle onto the valve cartridge.You will need to remove this screw this will expose a nut/retainer that holds the cartridge in place- remove this item. Now will be able to pull the cartridge out using a pair of pliers. If the cartridge will not come out most home repair stores sell a cartridge extracting tool. This tool is a tee handle device that screws into the cartridge and has a nut that one tightens to break the cartridge free of the valve body. Some extreme cases will require some extreme pulling and snatching on the Tee handle to get the cartridge out. I personally dry the interior of the valve body a apply a thin coat of grease/lubricant to improve the service life of the new cartridge. Hope this is of assistance to you and thanks for using Fix Ya. If I can be of anymore assistance please let me know.

Posted on Oct 08, 2008

  • John White
    John White Aug 22, 2016

    This tip can help you turn off water supply valves under the sink that are hard to reach:


  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    Visited the website for 3 consecutive days.


    Uploaded 5 video answers.

  • Expert
  • 117 Answers

This may not be the same fixture as yours, but it gives you an idea of what is in the faucet assembly and how to access it:

Posted on Aug 22, 2016


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have the AS 4251 Standard Collection Kitchen faucet. The water barely trickles out. It has been getting worse and worse. The aeretor is not dirty, I have the same flow with the aeretor removed. I removed...

You are going to have to take the handles off and clean out the ports and valves. Evidently something is stuck under the washers. Turn off the water underneath the sink, remove the handles, just as if you were going to replace washers. Also look into the faucet inlet where the water hoses connect. Probably sediment has gotten into the mechanism.

Jun 23, 2011 | American Standard 4251 'The Standard...

1 Answer

I just installed an American Standard easy touch faucet 6310F. The pressure is very low. Anybody know what the problem may be?

At the base of the handle there is a flow regulating check valve. Shut off water supply and unscrew handle and look for debris. Many times the washers break down on the shutoffs under the sink and release "crumbs", these usually block aerators and sometimes the cartridges on certain faucets. Hope this was helpful.

Feb 16, 2011 | American Standard Kitchen Faucet 6310 020...

1 Answer

I"m removing and replacing a

Since you are replacing the Delta Faucet Delta 470-BL-DST Signature Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet With Spray faucet, bend the water supply lines out of the way, and then use a standard basin wrench to remove the nut.

Jan 25, 2011 | Delta Faucet Delta 470-BL-DST Signature...

1 Answer

Faucet is leaking from just under the handle when you put water on

"O" ring seal probably need replacement water off disconnect handle and remove valve remove "o" ring and replace

Jan 26, 2010 | American Standard 2021.600.295 Ceramix...

2 Answers

Kitchen faucet single handle pull-out. The base of

I have the same problem with an American Standard Reliant Kitchen Faucet that wont swivel anymore. I called American Standard and they are sending me the replacement parts to fix it free of charge, I have had mine 6-7 years and they said it was under warranty. Call 800-442-1902. Good Luck

Jan 09, 2010 | American Standard Kitchen Faucet 6310 020...

1 Answer

Installed new faucet worked then all water stopped

If it has a side spray the diverter might be stuck. try flicking the spray handle on and off.

Jun 10, 2009 | Price Pfister Marielle Kitchen Faucet with...

1 Answer

Mixer tap in kitchen hard to turn on and off

It is a simple matter of on o-ring being out of align. REmove the valve cartridge fromthe faucet by first shutting off the water at the shut-off valves. Then remove the handle by means of loosining the set-screw on the front side of the handle. Then remove the valve cartridge by unscrewing the packing nut that surrounds the shiny stem that the handle was connected to.

Once that is removed then the cartridge will slide out, probably with a bit of force. Replace the o-rings and any other washers that may be there and coat liberally with plumbing grease before re-installing. This should fix you right up.

Bring the old cartridges, rings and washers with you to your home improvement store to make replacing easier. Should be about $15-$20.

Good luck.

Apr 25, 2009 | Grohe Classic Kitchen/Bar Faucet ...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

2,522 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

16376 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

37841 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides