1997 Cadillac Eldorado fuel gauge not reading fuel level correctly
Did you test before replacing ? Do you know how it work's ?
The body control module (PZM) monitors the fuel level sender input in order to determine the current fuel level. The PZM filters the input and sends a message via the Class 2 serial data line. The IPC receives this message and displays the current fuel level. The fuel level is sent from the PZM to the IPC at changes of 0.5 L (0.02 gal) or on the request of the IPC, with a resolution of 0.04 L (0.01 gal).
• For the digital IPC, when the fuel level is above 18.5 gal, the IPC displays an F. For readings between 18.5-2.5 gal, whole gallon/liter numbers are displayed. When the fuel level reaches 3.0 gal the message FUEL LEVEL LOW is displayed on the driver message center. When the fuel level reaches 2.5 gal, the IPC displays an E. When the fuel level is 1.2 gal or below the IPC displays a flashing E.
• For the analog IPC, when the fuel level is above 18.5 gal, the fuel gauge pointer is on F. When the fuel level is below 2.5 gal the fuel gauge pointer moves to E. When the fuel level is below 3.0 gal the IPC displays a FUEL LEVEL LOW message.
If the updates are not received or a communication error is detected, the IPC performs the following actions:
• For the digital IPC, the fuel gauge is dashed.
• For the analog IPC, the fuel gauge pointer moves to E.
Fuel Gage Inaccurate or Inoperative
The IPC monitors the fuel level sent by the PZM through the class 2 serial data line. The IPC software controls one of the following two gauge types:
• A digital gauge consisting if a two-digit numeric seven-segment display
• An analog gauge consisting of a needle pointer.
The IPC interpolates and scales the fuel level information that the IPC receives from the PZM.
When you operate the vehicle in diagnostic mode, either in the vehicle diagnostic system or with a scan tool connected, the fuel signal supplied to the IPC is not filtered by the PZM. The unfiltered fuel signal causes the IPC to show real time readings and may be mistaken as an erratic fuel level display.
Connect a scan tool to the DLC.
Oct 12, 2017 |
Cadillac Cars & Trucks