How to solve Internet Explorer 8 installation problems
Method A: Reset Windows security settings back to the defaults
Restore the security settings to the default settings.
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix this problem link which is in the article 949220 Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. In Windows XP, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
In Windows Vista, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
You receive a "Task is completed" message and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this message, see the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.
Next steps After you run this Microsoft Fix it (or complete these manual steps), standard user accounts may no longer appear on the log on screen when you start your computer or try to switch users. This occurs because standard user accounts are removed from the Users group when you reset Windows security settings. To add the affected users accounts back to the Users group, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then All Programs. Or click Programs.
2. Click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt (Windows XP). Or right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run As Administrator (Windows Vista).
3. In the Command Prompt window, type net users and then press ENTER. A list of user accounts is displayed.
4. For each accountname listed in the Command Prompt that is missing from the log on or switch user screen, type the following command and then press ENTER:
net localgroup users accountname /add
5. Now go to the "Did this fix the problem?" section.
Note In Windows Vista, the Defltbase.inf file is a Security configuration template for the default security. You can view the settings for this file in the following location: %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf
For online Help about Secedit, click Start, click Run, type %windir%\help\secedit.chm, and then press ENTER.
Method E: Check for any files that cannot be backed up or updated
This method is rated: Moderately difficult.
To complete this method, follow these steps:
1. Determine whether a problem is preventing the files from being backed up or updated. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. Copy and then paste (or type) the following text in the Open box, and then click OK to open the ie8_main.log file:
Note By default, the ie8_main.log file is located in the C:\Windows folder.
c. Press CTRL+END to move to the end of the ie8_main.log file.
d. On the Edit menu, click Find.
e. In the Find what box, type ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Canceled.
f. Under Direction, click Up, and then click Find Next.
If you find the "ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Canceled" text, this indicates that there is a problem that is preventing an Internet Explorer 8 file from being saved for removal. For example, text that resembles the following in the log file indicates that a problem exists:
Time_stamp: ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Canceled
Time_stamp: DoInstallation:UpdSpCommitFileQueue for AlwaysQueue Failed: 0x4c7
If you do not find the "ArchiveFileForUninstall:ArchiveSingleFile Canceled" text in the ie8_main.log file, contact Support.
2. Reset the permissions for the Vgx.dll file. To set the permissions of the file to the default settings, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK. At a command prompt, copy and then paste (or type) one of the following commands, and then press ENTER:
o If you are running Windows XP, copy and then paste (or type) the following command:
echo y| cacls "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll" /P BUILTIN\Users:R "BUILTIN\Power Users:C" BUILTIN\Administrators:F "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F"
o If you are running Windows Server 2003, copy and then paste (or type) the following command: echo y| cacls "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll" /P BUILTIN\Users:R "BUILTIN\Power Users:C" BUILTIN\Administrators:F "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F" "NT AUTHORITY\TERMINAL SERVER USER:C"
3. Try to install Internet Explorer 8. If Internet Explorer cannot be installed, contact Support. If the log file shows a problem, repeat all the steps in this method. If you repeat the process, and Internet Explorer 8 still cannot be installed, but the log file is clean, contact Support
on May 03, 2010 | PC Desktops