Electrical cord connection touched back panel of dryer as I was pulling dryer out to clean. Connection sparked and now the dryer will not start. Would this most likely have shorted out the motor or just the switch and how can I tell? I can replace either of them myself, but need to know how to proceed. This is in a rental and I do not want to spend to have a repair professional come out. Can anybody please advise. Thanks.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
most likely the heating element is shorting out or a wire is touching metal in the dryer or you have a problem with the house electrical,unplug it,pull it out and remove the vent line and the back panel,first check the connections where the cord connects to the dryer and make sure that's ok.if that looks fine go to the heating element connections down on the bottom right hand side,pull off the wires going to the element,check the element with a meter or make sure the wires aren't touching anything and plug it back in,if the fuse doesn't pop change out the heater,if it does pop again call an electrician to check the house circuit or and go through the dryer to see if any of the wires are shorting out,
Most likely cause of the wire being burned is a loose and arching connection.
I would recommend that you replace your existing cord and wire with new ones and make sure to tighten your connections very tight, but do not strip the screws by over tighting..
Please take time to rate me
The burnt smell usually comes when the motor is going bad,
as the unit works I won't recommend you to use it for a long time and get the
motor checked-replaced. Hope this helps...please post back for further
turn off breakers, unplug dryer and inspect the cord end for signs of
burning, also open up the dryer plug on the wall and look inside it for
loose or burnt connections, you could also have a faulty control thermostat ,shorted heating element or a bad 30 amp breaker in the power panel. Hope this helps Tim
You have a poor electrical connection, causing the fuse to heat up. Check to make sure electrical connections are all tight, especially the wires in your fuse disconnect box. Most fused disconnect boxes have a hex screw behind the fuse that the back of the fuse touches. Make sure that is tight also. The poor connection could be in other areas also, such as the receptacle the dryer cord plugs into or the connections of the dryer cord to the dryer.
ck vent system to outside also ck the vent hose behind dryer to be sure it is not being mashed flat when pushed back..while you have it out ck to see if cord connection screws are tight loose screws can cause cord to overheat and melt insulation causing short..if breaker trips immediately suspect dryer if runs for a time before kicking suspect weak breaker
one thing to check it the voltage coming into the unit make sure you have 220-230 volts at the plug if so you want to open the back little panel where the cord goes in and check your terminal block and cord connection PLEASE unplug b4 you open the panel A dryer will still tmble but wont heat or advance if that leg(110volts) is not there and the other one is