Question about Operating Systems
some one has kindly lent me a boot disk
i have run it and it loads on my laptop
if you have the time could you run thorw what i need to do to wipe my lap top. and any drivers i will need to download. can i download them via my home pc on to cd then load them on the laptop?
thanks for your help
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 18, 2013 | Acer Operating Systems
Nov 18, 2013 | Microsoft Operating Systems
Jan 27, 2012 | Operating Systems
Apr 20, 2011 | Acer Operating Systems
Feb 28, 2011 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional for PC
Sep 28, 2010 | Operating Systems
Dec 24, 2009 | Operating Systems
Aug 18, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
The Bios should not be your problem and the MBR doesn't have anything to do if you didn't play with Windows installations or with any utility to create an image of your hard drive.
To understand where the problem is coming from:
- Ask someone to go to http://www.knoppix.org/ and download a Knoppix CD
- Create a bootable CD from the ISO downloaded
- Enter in your Laptop BIOS settings and change the first bootable device as the CD/DVD
- Insert the Knoppix CD and boot your Laptop
- Knoppix will start and ask boot:
- Just hit Enter
- When Knoppix has finished and it's running you will have a nice graphic interface
- click on the HD icon on the desktop and see if you can see your files, if not you have a bad Hard disk
- Knoppix has also a utility to test the memory too.
If you tryied to install another copy of Windows or you made an image using some software like Ghost, you have to:
- boot from a floppy disk (Download and create from here http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm, I suggest Windows 98 SE)
- At the prompt type FDISK /MBR and press Enter
ATTENTION: If you type something different you may distroy all your files on your hard drive
Oct 16, 2007 | Operating Systems
30 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: