Question about Computers & Internet

2 Answers

Vlan dear sir, i want to know detailed about VLAN. what is is? and how it it possible on switch only or router only.......i am very confused........waiting for u r id is

Posted by on


2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Hi JackHeath
I find this information to be of grate value to me, I have one more question how can I set up a VLAN on a TRT Cat 5e patch panel

Posted on Nov 13, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 7 tips or uploaded 3 video tips

  • Master
  • 1,049 Answers

A VLAN is a Virtual LAN. It allows the same physical piece of equipment to manage traffic for two separate networks but still block the movement of data between them as if they were not on the same. Picture it like partitioning a hard drive, but your dividing the ports on your switch. As for why, there are a couple reasons. (1) Reducing LAN traffic, every packet sent by a computer has to cycle through every manchine on the LAN, VLAN's limit the number of machines a packet routes through, (2) Security, it also allows you to limit data to a subset of devices or computers. (3) and it allows you to organize your machine on a large LAN by address.

Here are case examples:

1) I want to setup quality of service making sure that servers or phone systems are allotted a certain amount of priority at all times. For example, you wouldn't want your phones to crack and pop because Joe in accounting decided to stream the latest episode of CSI Miami.
2) I want to organize the machines in my organization for security purposes breaking apart different physical networks for each department, building, etc. If you have multinational company running on the same LAN, you don't want everyone pulling from a single pool of addresses.
3) I have a limited amount of equiment so purchase on large switch rather then several smaller ones and divide the ports into specified port groups. I can then set different port restrictions, policies, and quality of service for each group...say an IP phone system, a DMZ, a lab, and management PC's.

Posted on Oct 06, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have forgotten my WEP Key. How do I locate it on my computer


This Utility program will help you locate few details of your network like :

1. SSID ( network name )
2. WEP/WPA Key ( Your network security key )
3. The PC/Laptop IP Address
4. Router IP address
5. Which all Devices are connected to your Router/Network Wireless
6. Which all Network are available nearby your place
7. Let you access the Router Configuration

Click here to Download the HP Network Diagnostic Utility
Download the file on Desktop and Run the program ( Ex. File name = HPNDU.EXE )

Follow the Instructions on the Screen and do accordingly

* Please rate this solution with Thumbs up and comment to help us improve providing support

Nov 12, 2010 | NetGear Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Im trying to split an ethernet signal to an xbox 360 and a wireless router. i get the xbox to work but the router will not unless i reset it. what am i doing wrong?

Don't know but .... your best solution is a small 4 - 10 port switch. Can be had for under $50 and if you search well enough, for most likely under $30

Mar 16, 2010 | Siemon Company Network splitter

1 Answer

How do I estimate the number of ports needed on a switch?I am thinking about getting a Netgear GS 108 8 port 10/100/1000 switch to connect my DSL modem and my HP 4Plus printer to my desktop MAC and my...

an 8-port switch is sufficient for your situation

port one - modem/router

port two - PC

port three - networked printer

port four - laptop

ports 5-8 free, waiting to be used, can connect a wireless AP for a WLAN or other computers, or an IP phone, etc ....

Mar 26, 2009 | Belkin Computers & Internet

2 Answers

How to use cross cable and straight cables in network

ok, i think what you mean is this.  Crossover cable is for connecting 2 computers together without the need for a router.  also called pc-to-pc.  Straight cables need the use of a router or hub to connect 2 computers together.  Hope this helps, if not let me know more info.

Mar 06, 2009 | Southwestern Bell (S60802)

2 Answers

Switch to Switch Connection

This is a very specific problem that requires a site visit to solve, there are many factors that can effect the transmission of data over a run of that length. There are many solutions to this problem, they range from rerouting the cable run to avoid sources of interference to selecting another medium such as WLAN or IrLAN. The specific implementation of the solution must be custom tailored to the situation, sometimes the solution requires equipment that is readily available on a store shevle and sometimes the solution must be engineered to accommodate the needs.

I would recommend looking at the cable route to see if it runs past any major interference makers (copiers/large office machines, industrial equipment, power equipment). Then look at the possibility of an intermediate repeater/router (protected location and availability of power outlets). Another possibility is a wireless technology, the specific technology depends on many factors. If you need high speeds or large data transfer, perhaps an Ir (Infra-red) link or WiMAX (802.16) would be best. If general purpose network connectivity is needed, then a standard 802.11 a/g WLAN will suffice. I recommend that you contact a local networking firm for a detailed consultation. Another resource that might be a better fit for most small budgets will be to contact the local college/university that has a well defined IT program to solicit members of the Alumni in a networking degree field.

Jan 06, 2009 | D-Link Computers & Internet

1 Answer

Getting ready to replace 2WIRE router



Dec 29, 2008 | Monster Cable (109611)

1 Answer

Cat5e 350mhz wire

What you can do with the cat5 cables is plug the wire into the PS3 and the other end into your home router or switch. This might be a problem if your router or switch is in another room or so but it will most likely give you less lag.

Hope this helps, let me know if ya have problems connecting if you decide to use the cat5 wire but it should be about the same setup as using wireless.

Aug 14, 2008 | Cat5e 10ft White 350MHz Stranded Snagless...

4 Answers

Network cabling


Here is a gret link to get you started.

I hope this helps.


May 19, 2008 | Leviton (102-5G108-RW5)

2 Answers

Belkin F5D8630 wont take my new log in details

check to see if all of the ssid's are all the same or if there is another wireless system interfering.

Sep 11, 2007 | Belkin (A3L85014BLS24)

4 Answers

Netgear ethernet connection

What is the model # of your NIC card? Also what is your OS?

Jun 17, 2007 | PC Connection Ethernet Patch Cable

Not finding what you are looking for?
Computers & Internet Logo

Related Topics:

170 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Computers & Internet Experts

Brian Sullivan
Brian Sullivan

Level 3 Expert

27725 Answers


Level 3 Expert

100174 Answers

David Payne
David Payne

Level 3 Expert

14160 Answers

Are you a Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides