I assume you are attempting a "downgrade" to Xp from Vista, since this laptop does not come with XP.
From the Compaq information page:
- HP does NOT support XP for consumer notebooks, so if you have any difficulties regarding XP, do not expect HP will help you.
- HP may demand you to install back VISTA if you have hardware problem to troubleshoot it.
An option to consider-put your original Vista hdd away and install new one for XP.
- Some of the notebook features may not work in XP due to uncertified licenses pointed in this guide.
has released three (3) Service Packs for XP, use only SP2 for the first
trial. Why? Since many of XP drivers are released based on XP-SP2.
- Always make Vista Recovery cd/dvd before downgrade to XP. see it here
- You have a folder with drivers & programs that may prove very helpful after XP downgrade.
Copy folder C:\Swsetup to DVD Before formatting your hdd.
- If you have a pre-SP2 XP cd, get the full SP to Integrate with Nlite: SP2 Nlite HERE
The help guide for downgrading is here
. There is a lot of information on this process written there.
However, if what you want is a an XP look and feel so you can compute the way you used to, change the Vista to look like XP in the display properties.
If you are trying to run non-Vista software, try running it in compatibility mode. To do this, right click on the program files and select properties and then locate compatibility..