Question about HP PhotoSmart C4280 Laser Printer
Ok - the reason this error pops up is because there is a software issue going on. If the software is correctly installed you will see options for where the scan will go in the computer.
Having said that there are several things that can cause a problem between the printer and the software;
1) You are connecting the printer by USB to router - you may print but will never be able to scan as this is not a networkable printer. Connect it directly to your computer and recomplete the setup portion to configure the scanner.
2) You have not finished the setup. At the end of the installer you can setup the scanner but if you skipped this step you will have to redo it in order for it to connect. Click on the device manager in your dock and then next to information and settings there will be a little wheel. Click on the wheel and go to setup assistant. Complete the assistant and try to scan.
3) The printer is not grabbing the new software options - leave the printer turned on but unplug the power cord and wait for 30 seconds. Plug printer back in - when you do this it should initialize and will look to the mac for changes and the options should load.
4) Software missing - You MUST have the software for the printer installed for scanning function. Adobe and other programs cannot replace it - it has to be installed.
5) Software is corrupted. Uninstall the software (uninstaller is under applications in the HP folder) and then download (www.hp.com) and install the most recent full feature software and drivers for your operating system.
6) If all these steps fail you may have an issue with your computer and it's TWAIN drivers.
Posted on Jan 17, 2009
For Mac OS 10.5.8, go to Applications/Hewlitt Packard and use the uninstall software to uninstall the old version of the driver. This is essential. Restart. Go HP website, find the C4280 and download the new version of the software 9.7.1. It is 187.98 MB. Install the software.Check apple preferences to be sure you see your printer/scanner added to the list. If you don't uninstall first, installing the newer version will not allow you to use the scan function. All you get is an error message: scanner can't be found/USB cable not connected.
Posted on Apr 08, 2011
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 23, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jan 11, 2014 | Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
Jul 13, 2011 | Mustek Plug-n-Scan 600 Flatbed Scanner
Sep 26, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Aug 19, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Jan 29, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Apr 09, 2008 | Visioneer OneTouch 8100 Flatbed Scanner
Mar 11, 2008 | Artronix Technology Artec 1236 Flatbed...
Neither is it a prob with the computer nor with the scanner.
Let me guess,
either is your usb connection cable longer than 2m or you have connected the usb printer/scanner cable to a usb hub.
Do use a cable no longer than a max of 3m and do connect the usb cable directly to the computer usb slot.
Oct 18, 2007 | Brother DCP-110C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jun 24, 2012 | HP PhotoSmart C4280 Laser Printer
315 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: