Question about Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven

Open Question

Microwave making a loud noise with a burning smell

I have a Kenmore microwave hood combination model 721.80523 that is about 13 months old. About a week ago while cooking popcorn it started making a loud noise and started to smoke. The smoke smelled like some sort of electrical smell.

Posted by on

  • 2 more comments 
  • damon_c Oct 28, 2008

    Same exact problem.  Kenmore model 721.62463

  • Anonymous Feb 07, 2009

    Same problem 911.49489

  • Anonymous May 05, 2009

    microwave oven

  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    I would check the waveguide cover and the area behind it.

    If that's not the source of the problem, I would suspect a failed high voltage transformer.

    Let us know what you find out about the cover.

    And please reply back with your full model number so we can help you.

    A full Sears/Kenmore model number has 3 digits, a dot, then 8 more digits, such as ###.########

×

5 Suggested Answers

  • 883 Answers

SOURCE: Oster Microwave/Convection/Grill

first, get your money back or get a replacement for no charge. now, unplug the oven for 15 minutes and try again. if no-go, then some device is faulty that only a tech can find

Posted on May 28, 2007

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9030 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning

Chances are you have a bad magnetron.

If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 28, 2008

  • 6 Answers

SOURCE: viking professional vmoc205ss convection Cooking POPCORN

You need to use one of the metal racks that came with the Viking microwave to raise the popcorn bag off the bottom of the microwave. It works great!

Posted on Jun 01, 2009

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9030 Answers

SOURCE: Broken vent grille for a Whirlpool microwave hood combination

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical grille in seconds.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jun 06, 2009

  • 1 Answer

SOURCE: Kenmore Microwave Hood Combination oven Model Service code (SE) ?

I have Microwave Kenmore model 401.80082700 about more than a year. After about 6 months, it stated to have some probles such as some number keys not working. Then button START become nor working some times. I can use only button of 30 secon increment to cook something. OK, the fan is working for most of the time but the levels are stuck, not adjustable. I can't changer the fan levels. Now the lamp buton is dead. Sometime, the fan level control is working by itself level 1, 2, 3.... then it appears -SE- on the display. nothing work now. I unplug.... then plug back, it ask to input the time or date... I can't do any thing. Later some time I can cook by using 30 secon button.... It is anoying. Please how I can fix it? Thank you.

Posted on Nov 09, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Why is my microwave model 60609 making extremely loud noise and not heat?


Usually that is a sign that your magnetron tube has gone bad (shorted out).

Jun 10, 2014 | Kenmore 80822 80823 80824 80829 1500...

1 Answer

Microwave makes a loud buzzing noise and emits a burning plastic smell


This indicates the magnetron has failed, buzzing sound and odor are classic symptoms. It is cheaper to replace than have it repaired.

Apr 03, 2011 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My Kenmore 721.626222 which I have had about 6 years, runs but does not heat. There is also a strange smell - something like a burning smell.


When the oven does not heat, the problem is usually due to the magnetron failing. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. It fails by shorting out causing a loud buzzing noise. The burning smell is the being magnetron overloaded due to the short. It not worth fixing since the replacement cost of a magnetron is close to the price of a new oven. Sorry.

Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My3yr old GE profile microwave doesn't warm up


from what you are discribing , I would be looking at the high voltage transformer

Feb 13, 2010 | GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave

1 Answer

Generic problem for all Kenmore Microwave


Loud hum is usually due to faulty hv diod, resonance capacitor, or the magnatrone feed thru capacitor , chk it with a ohm meter , one by one n replace it .. zaheer Islamabad

Dec 31, 2009 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning


Chances are you have a bad magnetron.

If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jul 24, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning


yes anything can be fixed but a do it yourselfer i reccomend against this cause thats a radiated element in the micro
recommend go out and purchase a replacement go with G.E. they have the 7 year warranty great little micro. too change out is easy

Jun 02, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Microwave makes loud noise and does not heat. Smell of light burning


The noise is coming from the high-voltage transformer being overloaded by something shorting it out. Either the magnatron or the high-voltage capacitor and diode. Replace the capacitor and diode then if still not working, replace the magnatron. Its only affordable if you do it yourself - buy the part on EBAY - lookup "universal magnatron"
Hope ya fix it!

Feb 06, 2008 | Whirlpool GH8155XJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag Rangehood Microwave Loud Humming


Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network: HV Transformer HV Diode HV Capacitor Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.

Jul 31, 2007 | Whirlpool GH4155XP Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Kenmore 80412 Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

749 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Kenmore Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9030 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2296 Answers

Jim Thurston

Level 3 Expert

670 Answers

Are you a Kenmore Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...