The seagate hard drive stopped working and I have replaced it with a Western digital 320g drive. I have reloaded XP from the disk that was made when I first got the laptop and all look fine except that I cannot use the keyboard with any program the mouse is ok but cannot type anything ist as though the keyboard does not exist . I have run Ubuntu Linux from the CD and the unit works perfectly. I would appreciate your advice
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1) defective hard disk, you may need to RMS these drive.
2) BAD SECTOR on disk drive
3) sometimes using a testing tool may help, like the seagate tool for hard disk or western digital.
Click start control panel
administrative tools computer management disk management right click on your
drive select properties click tools you should see click check now click start
automatically fix files and
scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors place then a tick in both boxes
then select check now start
You might tick one box then
return after its finished the first repair then return and tick the second box
you should not do anything while the chkdsk utility is in progress any input
may damage this drive
I found that you get best
results by ticking one box then returning after it has finished then tick the
Right click on your drive select properties and run the disk clean up option.
I can't diagnose the drive issue... but I can offer a reliable and trustworthy data recovery solution that I had to use a year ago. It's Seagate's do it yourself data recovery and will work on your WD drive. So if you can't resolve the issue otherwise, consider this as a recovery option...
DOWNLOAD HIREN BOOT CD, WRITE IT TO CD THEN BOOT FROM IT
Includes HDD Diagnostics for these companies
Hard Disk Tools:
- Hard Disk Diagnostic Utilities
- Seagate Seatools Desktop Edition 3.02
- Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools
- Western Digital Diagnostics (DLGDIAG) 5.04f
- Maxtor PowerMax 4.23
- Maxtor amset utility 4.0
- Maxtor(or any Hdd) Low Level Formatter 1.1
- Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool 6.61
- Fujitsu IDE Low Level Format 1.0
- Samsung HDD Utility(HUTIL) 2.02
- Samsung Disk Diagnose (SHDIAG) 1.28
- IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.08
- IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool 2.03
- Gateway GwScan 3.15
- ExcelStor's ESTest 3.80
- MHDD 4.6
- WDClear 1.30
- Toshiba Hard Disk Diagnostic 2.00b
- SeaTools for Dos 1.08
- HDD Regenerator 1.51 - to recover a bad hard drive
- Ontrack Disk Manager 9.57 - Disk Test/Format/Maintenance tool.
- Norton Disk Doctor 2002 - a tool to repair a damaged disk, or to diagnose your hard drive.
- Norton Disk Editor 2002 - a powerful disk editing, manual data recovery tool.
- Active Kill Disk 3.1 - Securely overwrites and destroys all data on physical drive.
- HDAT2 4.5.2 - main function is testing and repair (regenerates) bad sectors for devices
- SmartUDM 2.00 - Hard Disk Drive S.M.A.R.T. Viewer.
- Victoria 3.33 - a freeware program for low-level HDD diagnostics
Hope this helps
If you are having trouble with Newly bought items save your self from headaches by returning them and demand a replacement or a refund! You may have purchased a reconditioned\repaired\factory defect product.