An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: XL-15S, NO OZONE
Several possiblities here. Not static sound means the plasma discharge plates aren't energized.
1) Missing, cracked or defective discharge plate (you say you cleaned the filter - did you mean the lint screen in back, or the glass or white ceramic plate inside)? No plate, no ozone (O3) production.
2) Bad connection in the high voltage leads*.
3) Bad electrical components*.
*I'm not an electrician, and recommend that only qualified personnel troubleshoot high voltage electronic, both for safety, and for preventing further damage to circuitry. Visible problems, such as corroded or broken terminals that can be swapped when it's de-energized (unplugged) is one thing; having to dig deeper into the electronics is something that I expect to rapidly end up costing more than it's worth.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It properly needs the filter and interior cleaned. Especially, if it has run a long time without being cleaned. Or there is nothing in the household air at this time to trip the Ozone producing switch.
When the unit is clean it will produce more ozone. If the unit is a bit oversized then it becomes worse. As an installer I have to be carefull to not oversize these units. O3 is harmless and actually will only stay in the air as O3 for about 1/2 hour. Because of this it will not build up in the air. O3 also in a powerful disinfectant and will help kill mold and bacteria in the air. As soon as the filter gets a little bit of dust on it the O3 production will become much less. Run your fan continuously for a day or so and it will go away.
The Classic XL-15 should have 2 individual indicator lights. The 'red' light is the ionizer indicator, and the 'green' light is the ozone level indicator. Both lights should be illuminated, if the unit is operating properly. The red light should be pulsing, and the green light should be dimly lit, and brightened as the output knob is turned up - indicating a higher ozone production. If the green light is not lit, you likely won't smell the ozone. The first thing you should try, is cleaning the filter and glass ozone plate. Unplug the unit and remove the rear air filter. Clean the filter with clean water and allow to COMPLETELY air dry. Removed the glass plate by depressing the lever behind the glass plate, and gently pulling it out. Clean the glass with a half water, half ammonia (or distilled white vinegar, if ammonia not available) and an old toothbrush to clean between the mesh. Dry plate with a hair dryer and re-place plate into unit. Replace dried air filter, making sure the little tab on the bottom is secured into the interlock. Power the unit on and you should see the indicator lights and smell the fresh ozone!
Moist air reduces the efficiency of ozone production for this unit. I am not sure what the water thing is about.
Did you try cleaning the glass plate or ceramic plate ozone producing unit with soap free ammonia? Also did you try using a pencil eraser on the contact points on the glass plate? I think the ammonia cleaning and contact points on the glass plate should be your first option. Check your maintenance on the units manual.
Try the manufacturers website for their trouble shooting guide...walks you through most problems and how to fix them.
Confirm that the appropriate sections of the circuitry are powered up and drawing power; check the interlock switch action; toss it back to the maker because the Hi-V transformer or ladder circuit or sense or hold caps were (if testing proves) never quite functional.
Whenever you clean or replace the plate, you must also clean the contacts that touch the plate, and all supports for the contacts. Clean them with 70% or higher isopropyl alcohol and Q tips. You should also clean the ionization point with a Q tip and alcohol, remove and clean the fan and oil the fan motor front and rear with a drop or two of sewing machine oil. Replace the fan so that it is flush with the end of the shaft. Make sure that the contacts are firmly against the ozone plate when you replace it. They sometimes barely make contact and then don't work well. You can bend them enough to make them fit firmly.