Question about Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC
Let's start as simple as possible:
Do you have a loose connection / glitch at the power-connector? Check and solder (link to manual for disassembly is further down in this document)
To me this looks like a stuck key (not necessary one on the keyboard):
1. download and burn ubuntu 8.10 to cd.
2. boot _any_ computer with it, connect >1GB USB stick.
3. System --> Administration --> Install to live usb
4. Boot from live-usb-stick that you just created
5. open terminal (Applications --> Accessories --> terminal)
6. paste this: sudo apt-get install xev
7. paste this: xev
8. hover with mouse over white box
9. make sure not to press any keys or move the mouse. Now flip the screen or try to recreate a situation in which the task manager would pop up in windows.
10. what's the output in the terminal window? Try to pinpoint exactly how and when the events are generated.
There should be no event generated, when you physically flip the display (which means you don't have to replace the hinge).
Press every single key you can find on the laptop. Verify that each key generates exactly one event.
If you find that there is a series of events generated without any key pressed, try to clean the malfunctioning key. (Service manual for disassembly)
It might possibly be a broken hinge (20USD). Flipping the display and pressing soft keys (Q, rotate, e) does not generate events in xev. Any other button does.
Posted on Nov 06, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 10, 2015 | Tablets & eReaders
Jun 28, 2014 | HP 9.7 Touchpad Tablet, 1GB Memory, 32GB...
Nov 23, 2013 | Archos ARNOVA 10 Android Tablet
Sep 08, 2011 | Samsung Galaxy Tab Tablet PC
Nov 12, 2010 | Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC
Apr 15, 2010 | Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC
302 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: