Question about Panasonic NN-S540 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Re: Overheat Microwave or...?

I warmed my merry calendar frozen dinner, The microwave create a smell like something got burn and the food don't get hot/warm, another word the microwave is no longer cook the food. What is the problem? Is it major or minor? Thank you.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 130 Answers

Magnetron (supplies microwave radiation [energy]) or any of the high voltage components internally. More than likely, the HV (high voltage) diode has burned out and is probably cheaper to purchase a new one than have someone repair it unless they can do it for free or you simply pay for the part.

Posted on Sep 29, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Dead ge microwave

magnetrons work only when the unit is cooking
it smells like an insulation from overheating wire so could be a fuse and failing transformer
take it in for a proper diagnosis and quote but if it is over 2 years old the cost to repair could be more than a replacement unit

May 26, 2017 | GE JVM1790SK Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool over microwave combo has burning smell in microwave

Probably fragments of food burning on the waveguide cover.

Jul 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My frigadare microwave runs normal but wont heat the food

From the description you have provided, the magnetron has shorted. This a job for a professional because there is lethal voltages present that will kill.

Mar 27, 2012 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Micro GE Spacemaker XL1400 Sunday I was warming up soup for three minutes when ready open door and I heard a click, micro shut down I tested the power outlet with the blender and It work An hour later the...


Jun 07, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

When I turn on the micowave; smell somthing burning

The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be ready to burn out. If you smell the burning, you should then unplug the microwave, open it up and see if you can determine for sure that it is coming from that part. Unfortunately even if I am right, it is almost more cost effective to just replace the microwave rather than replace that part. You can run this microwave till it dies if you want, but I would be ready with a new one.

Let me know how this works out for you.


Apr 29, 2010 | KitchenAid KCMS145J Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My3yr old GE profile microwave doesn't warm up

from what you are discribing , I would be looking at the high voltage transformer

Feb 13, 2010 | GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave

1 Answer

Hey Thanks!! I tried to warm food in the microwave and the microwave started to make a strong humming noise, didn't warm the food and has an strong electrical burnt smell. -What's wrong?

The unit had a meltdown. Anytime you smell something thats not normal its alway an internal failure. You could send it out to be looked at but at the price to replace it your better of getting a new one.

Nov 27, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have an Amana Microwave mvh250C, won't warm food

Absolutely not worth fixing as a brand new one with lots of features can now be purchased for as little as fifty dollars.

May 14, 2009 | Amana MVH250 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burn at bottom of microwave

First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!

Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.

Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Panasonic NN-S540 Microwave Oven Logo

212 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Panasonic Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Are you a Panasonic Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides