- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
My Etrex Legend would not aquire satellites and after several call to tech support, I finally reset the whole unit. First I saved the waypoints on Mapsource. Then with the unit off press and hold the page button (upper right) then push the rocker button in and then push the power button. Once it starts you can then release all the buttons and set the unit outside for about 20 minutes.
Try updating the unit's software via the Garmin website. There was a satellite launched last year which was causing this problem, and updating the unit's software fixes this. Don't forget to come back and tell us if this fix worked for you.
I have had this problem occasionally and if you use Restore Defaults it appears to fix it. Using the front button go to Main Menu, Setup, System, move left and press the button button. Before I did this I just used to leave it a few weeks and it would suddenly be working again. HTH Peter
The preloaded maps are VERY generic, mostly major highways. They are not useful for geocaching.
The good news is that you can download free topo maps created by a very generous Canadian soul, Dale Atkin. The maps are free but donations are accepted. He is also working on US topo maps. I've used Ibycus and Garmin topo maps and prefer the Ibycus version. If this solves your situation, please come back and rate our answer. Thankyou.
I had the same problem with the eTrex Legend (monochrome) and tried the solution of taking it apart, cleaning the connections and putting it back together. This did not work for me. I then updated the firmware to version 3.9 and that solved the vertical line problem, at least for the time being.
I contacted Garmin and they had me remove the microchip inside and see if that would fix the problem. It did not. So they instructed me to send it back in for repair. They gave me a return number and then ended up replacing the unit with a new one. My unit was under a year old so it was no charge.