Question about Sport & Outdoor - Others

1 Answer

How can change the crankset on a bike?

I need to change the crankset but i don't know how

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 137 Answers

It depends of course.

If you see something like this: TRADITIONAL CRANK except that there are plastic or metal covers over the bolt holes, then you'll need a socket wrench and a crank puller. First pop off the plastic or metal cap and then, with a 9/16ths or other socket, remove the nut (or it may be a bolt) underneath. This should screw on with traditional threading (righty, tighty... lefty loosy). Then use the crank puller to remove the crank by first screwing in the large threaded part into the crank and then turning the handle to pop off the crank. If you don't have a crank puller you could try biking for a mile or two with the cranks unbolted, you might wiggle it free, but these are designed to be perfectly matched and you don't want to screw up your axil, so I'd suggest the $12 tool.

If you have .... nevermind

This is easier:

Go to Park Tools website and follow their great instructions:


They have pretty pictures and great walk throughs on many topics.

Posted on Oct 03, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

Removing bicycle crank

Special tools are required to remove the bearing keepers on the crank. Pullers designed for the pedal arms are needed too. You can get these tools here: Bicycle Crankset Tools Mount or Dismount Your Bike Crankset

Dec 18, 2016 | Cycling

1 Answer

How do you take the crankset off of a 2010 kona blast

The problem is not in the crankset, its in the freewheel or cassette in the back wheel. The crankset is always free, and doesn't have anything to do with the skipping. Take your back wheel to the local bike shop, as it takes special tools to remove the freewheel.

Oct 12, 2014 | Cycling

1 Answer

Failed to install in my 2013 trek mtb bike. what tools needed for us be able to install or need washer. Also need to know the comlete package and parts included when you buy it

First, you're going to need to know what type of bottom bracket is on the frame of said bike. Hopefully it will be a standard threaded BB. It could be a BB90 or PF90. If there are no threads in the BB where your BB cups then your working with a press fit system. Let's start with what should come with your Truvativ Noir Crankset. You'll have the drive side arm & spindle, non-drive arm. 3x2.5mm spacers,1x wave washer. The Noir crank uses a 24mm diameter spindle, same as Shimano. SO, if your replacing a hollow tech II crank it should be a pretty standard affair. You'll need to know how wide your BB is on the bike frame to know how many 2.5mm spacers to use. The wave washer goes on the non-drive side against the bearing. Make sure to grease the BB before installation. If there are threads in the frame you'll be using outboard bearings. If it's a press fit system you'll be using cartridge bearings that press directly into the frame. Good Luck!

Sep 09, 2013 | Sram TruVativ 2010 Noir XC 3.3 Team...

1 Answer

I need to know what kind of crankshaft does a mongoose men's melee have?

Ya mean BOTTOM BRACKET? Probably something at the low end of Shimano. They don't publish the minutae for their department store bikes.

You could ask Mongoose directly or take it your Local Bike Shop and have them determine the answer (which is recommended in Mongoose's manual if you want service on a 3-piece crankset anyway).

Sep 21, 2011 | Cycling

1 Answer

My crankset is loose and i get it tight could you tell me the promblem.

Did someone try to fix your bike for you? Has the crankset been removed?
Does the crankset loosen as you ride it? How do you retighten it?
How far (left and right) do the peddles move when you wiggle the
crankset? If you had a set of ball bearings without a bearing race
(which holds the ball bearings) on both sides of the crankset, then
you may have lost the balls when it became loose the first time. In
that case, simply tightening the crankset will not solve the problem.

Aug 21, 2011 | Columbia Sportswear Columbia Trailhead...

1 Answer

Should there be a coverplate between the peddle arm and the crank bearing.(left side)

According to a simple web search the bike has Shimano M442 cranks which one link says are square-tapered. You can live without a dust cap if that is all that's missing but it should look like whatever is on the right side unless someone has been changing things.

One on eBay says it Octalink(tm)

Click on the pictures for blow-ups.

If THAT bolt is missing don't ride the bike until it is replaced and properly tightened. In fact, get it evaluated by a bicycle shop becaus e a crank ridden without the bolt will eventuall loosen enough to wear out the surfaces that mate it to the bottom bracket.

Aug 13, 2011 | Norco Pinnacle

1 Answer

I recently just bought a new bike. The cranks are made by Prowheel. My left pedal completely stripped the left crank arm. I heard that a Helicoil would fix this problem. Is this so? And would a local bike...

You don't give any specs for your particular crank but if you Google it you will probably find an entire crankset for less than a shop would charge you to chicken wire yours, if indeed they would even consider it. Left-hand thread complicates it.

For example...

Or look on eBay.

Jun 03, 2011 | Mountain Prowheel Bicycle Crankset Bike...

1 Answer

On my ROAD bike could a Sram/Truvati XX or XO (crankset 42/28-cassette11/36) work smoothly with Sram red doubletap Thank you.

To use Sram Red Shifters with such a wide range rear cassette requires a Sram 10-speed MTB rear derailleur such as an XX or X.0, it will work without problems with your red shifter.

Because it is a road bike, i suggest leaving the road crankset and front derailleur in place. If you need low gearing I suggest a compact front crankset.

If you need to use a mtb crankset, attept to use the road front derailluer with it.

Mar 11, 2011 | Sram X-0 XO REAR DERAILLEUR MTB ATB LONG...

1 Answer

Just got bike and saw that biggest gear tooth is cracked in 2 places. I know nothing about gears. Are all gears made on to 1 spocket.How hard is it to change and do you know cost of part.

The cheaper department-store bikes use one-piece joined chainrings. It is possible to refit a REAL crankset with replaceable chainrings on just about any bike, but is it worth it? Only you can decide.

Feb 18, 2011 | Cycling

1 Answer

Hi Everyone! I have a Shimano 5603 Hollowtech 2 triple chainring.......(10 Speed) I want to add a Utlegra 6600 front derailleur and Ultegra 6600 rear derailleur. Also 10 speed cassette, Ultegra...

No -

If you are going to use the front triple crankset, then you need to use the 6603 components. These are for Triple set-ups.

If you intend to keep your bike a triple, then everything in the drivetrain must be the triple designation, hence the XX03.

If you want to change the crankset to a compact, then you can use the 6600 (double) equipment, but you will need to change the left (front shifter) to a double as well. The compact crankset, will give you virtually the same range as the triple and be much lighter and shift better.

The cassette: You can use any 10 spd cassette from Shimano or SRAM as long as the rear cog is no larger than 27. if you want to use a larger cog like a 28, then you will have to use the 6700 group, assuming yoiu want to stay with shimano ultegra.

Final Note: Since you are chainging everything, you may want to consider the SRAM Apex group, this gives you more gear ratio than the Ultegra, is slightly less expensive and around the same weight. Great alternative to Triple bikes.

Parts you will need to convert:
Rear Derailleur
Front Derailleur (if changing to compact double or Apex)
Shifter set (if Apex)
Crankset (if Apex or compact shimano)
Bottom Bracket (if Apex)

The biggest thing is that Shifters and rear derailleur must be from the same company (shimano, SRAM, etc.) after that just make sure that yoiu use 10spd with 10spd, 9 with 9, and so on. Everything else can mix and match.

Dec 18, 2010 | Shimano Ultegra Triple Front Derailleur Fd...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sport & Outdoor - Others Logo

Related Topics:

2,714 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sport & Outdoor - Others Experts


Level 3 Expert

78010 Answers


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

16852 Answers

Are you a Sport and Outdoor - Other Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides