Hope you can help. So here's the problem, my dell keeps loading the dell loading screen, then beeps like crazy until i push any key. then it loads a white bar in the bottom, after being on a black screen for a while, then it goes to the windows xp loading screen then it starts over.
I pushed f12 and ran the diagnostics and it Failed the DST Short Status Test. The error code is 1000-0146. the message says Unit 0: DST Log contains previous errors.
The error refers to a bad Hard Drive. You need to call up Dell to have the Hard Drive replaced. Make sure to start contacting a Local Pc Shop to help you back up files from your Hard drive since Dell doesn't cater to backing up of data on any Hard Drive.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Turn Off the computer, now as soon as you hit the power button, keep on holding "Alt" key & keep on tapping "F10 key,ie: Alt+F10, it will open the recovery console ,select full factory restore and follow on screen instruction. (Note:this will erase all datas on the computer) or During the boot process you will see on the screen to press a certain key to enter setup Press and hold that key during the boot up process to enter BIOS you can load failsafe defaultsor load optimized defaults ,press escape then press f10 to save to cmos to restart
First, I want to know if you sees the Dell logo after turning on the laptop? If yes then this is no boot issue.
1. Immediately run the PSA. Make sure laptop is off. Press and hold down the Fn key, while holding down Fn key press the power button at the same time just once. Once the Dell screen loaded you can now let go of the Fn key. Check if the PSA will run short test for the LCD, RAM and HDD. When full color displays on the screen just press Y. PSA will continue. Just take note of any error code will appear on the screen such as 0141, 0142 and 0146 these are HDD failure errors which means HDD needs replacement. If the test says no errors found then proceed to step 2;
2. Try restarting the laptop once you see dell logo then keep tapping F8. Select last known good configuration. Press enter key. Just wait and check if laptop will load Windows. If not then, restart laptop keep tapping F8 try to select safe mode check if it will load Windows. If not then prepare the Windows OS disc the one came with your laptop.
3. While laptop is on insert the Windows OS disc. Restart the computer. On the Dell screen keep tapping on F12 to show boot menu. In the boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive. Press enter then keep tapping on space bar until it will say Windows loading files, please wait.
4. In the User Interface it will show you some options to select. Once the Install screen comes up look on the lower part select Repair Your Computer. If will ask you to do Startup Repair, please do start up repair. If fails try the System Restore. If fails then step 5;
5. If you have important files in your HDD then back up your files first. After backing up of files you can now install the Windows OS. Here is the process in installing the Windows OS. Insert the Windows OS disc, restart the laptop, keep tapping F12 on Dell screen, on boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive.Install the Windows OS. Just complete the installation.After the installation install the laptop drivers.