GE Microwave Spacesaver shuts down and trips circuit
Today our unit shutoff in the middle of a cooking cycle. It actually tripped the circuit. I reset circuit and tried to operate and it ran for about 5 seconds before tripping circuit again. I did notice that the fan did not seem to be operating and the units motor sound appeared much different (for this small amount of time) and the power lights dimmed just before shutting down. Lights, external fan/blower and clock work fine. Any ideas what problem might be?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I would suggest you check the door switches inside the microwave oven just below the keypad, rectangular in shape. The switches are normally open or closed, set meter to ohms, unhook lead from one side and test with door open and closed. If readings are the same both ways the switch is defective. "check all switches"
For a breaker to trip, you have to have an over voltage condition that is usually referred to as a short. Since your unit works in the cook cycle and only trips the circuit breaker when you open the door the short has to be in the door latch switch or reset circuit. So it wouldn't be that hard to repair, but since it is 7 years old and not the most energy efficient unit, if you aren't able do the repair yourself, then I would replace it!
You can get an idea of how hard the repair would be by going to the searspartsdirect.com web site and putting in the model # off the ID TAG. Then look for the door latch assembly and that will give you an idea of the cost of the parts and get an idea of how hard it is to replace.
your power transformer for the magnetron could have a shorted primary power winding,the door safety interlock switch could be mis-adjusted,this normally blows the internal unit fuse,a shorted high voltage capacitor,or diode,a bare wire inside the unit,more than the microwave on that circuit or a weak circuit breaker in the house power panel
There is an automatic circuit breaker that it tripping. One of two options
1) Something in your oven is either malfunctioning (difficult to find and replace). It is likely better to just replace than pay to have it fixed.
2) The house circuit that you are using is not providing enough power to the microwave. Check if something else is connected on the same circuit. A microwave runs poorly when not getting the full 115 volts that it was designed for and may fall into a safe mode and shut down for a while.
Newer houses should have the microwave on a dedicated circuit and should not have this problem - I say should not because electricians can make mistakes too.
You can try to trip your microwave circuit and see if anything else stops working. If so, that is likely why your microwave is falling into a safe mode - it is not getting enough juice.
If you have an older home (pre 1995), try to find what else is on your microwave circuit by tripping the breaker as listed above, then not using the other appliance when using the microwave.
Since power = voltage X current, 1.58kW / 120VAC = 13.166A
So this unit should be fine on a 15A breaker unless the breaker is bad, the wiring or a connection is loose somewhere between the breaker and the microwave, or the microwave's magnetron or high voltage transformer are failing and drawing extra current.
Microwaves should really be on the own separate breaker if at all possible. Plus, the more a breaker trips, the more work out it gets.
Have you measured the voltage at the outlet? If that's off, current and power will be affected. It should be about 110-125VAC.
A good power test for outlet and wiring integrity is a toaster, toaster oven, or hair dryer rated at about 1500 watts.
If it doesn't run and heat steadily, then there may be a problem with the house wiring or breaker.
If it passes this test, the problem is likely in the microwave.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Fan turned on after cooking because a thermostat got to hot and tripped turning on the fan to try to cool the unit. The unit went completely dead when thermal fuse tripped which is located above the cavity on the left side.
If it blows the fuse as soon as you hit the START button, it's almost certainly a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it blows a few seconds after you hit the START button, it's probably the high-voltage transformer. You'll possibly also smell a faint electrical burning smell from the rear vent after you shut if off.
Microwave can be very dangerous so it is best to have it looked by a professional
Would appreciate a solved rating for expert advise.
Are you saying that the oven seems to shut off while cooking?
Does it also happen if you cook at full power?
This may be a bad connection on the controller (which we repair) or a failing magnetron.
Please give usd a little more detail so we can follow up.