Hi...this microwave has been a lot of problem. So far 2 new magnetrons. Now it starts to heat, runs about 30 seconds and stops. Everything is off, the light, the fan. Nothing works. We unplug it and it will start again..same problem.Stops dead. Also the turntable will not turn. When we push the turntable button..it says "turntable will not work when probe is inserted". We have NEVER used the probe. Cannot even find it.
Could it be the fuse??? LAst house call..magnetron covered under warranty but labor was $150.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If this is an older oven, or an oven that has heated a lot of popcorn, or other low water content foods, then you might be looking at a magnetron that has become intermittent. The symptoms you describe, however, do not match the symptoms you usually see with this type of failure.
Based on your description of the problem, I'd investigate the possibility of an intermittent power relay. The contacts on these eventually burn and sometimes don't make a good connection. After the contacts first close, there're is an initial surge of current that might make the relay functional for a second or two, and then the damaged contacts no longer make contact.
Dan, That unit has an inverter, that is the power source for the part that puts out the Microwave energy called the Magnetron. The inverters are expensive and I stopped doing warranty work for Panasonic beacuse of them. Some pencil pusher somewhere though it was a great idea to replace 3 common fairly inexpensive parts. with that dang inverter. Microwaves have come down a lot in cost, I would buy a new one without an inverter. Sorry, wish I had better suggestions, I DO NOT LIKE THEM. LOL Sorry! Panasonic and their distributors are always out of them and there so expensive no one wants to stock them. I have had new ones sent to me that were already bad.
When the microwave is not heating, that means the magnetron is not working. This is what provides the heat to the microwave. I do believe the magnetron has a 10 year warranty.
If you wish to replace it, here is how:
Unplug Microwave at least few hours before
Remove Microwave from above oven range by somebody holding Microwave from ground unscrew the screws from cabinet
Remove top cover of Microwave
Make sure to keep screws correctly in a place you remember what goes where
sure capacitor is discharged, GE manual inside Microwave says capacitor
will discharge within 30 seconds once it is off. As a precaution check
the voltage in capacitor to make sure there is no electricity
Remove other panels around magnetron part
You need to remove lot of connecting wires, should be careful to note down what goes where
If possible take digital photos to refer back when you put everything back together
may need to remove transformer to easily remove and replace Magnetron.
If you can't remove Magnetron easily then remove bottom panel of the
Microwave and remove transformer
Now it should be easy to remove magnetron
new magnetron and screw it. We had to put one outside part from old
magnetron to new one because new one was missing that. Check to make
sure both old and new one are exactly the same
Make sure put all wires properly back
Now put transformer back and screw it
Put capacitor panel in place and screw it
This might be a good time to test the Microwave to make sure it works fine now
Now cover the top panels and start to screw everything
Once everything assembled put the Microwave back above range put screws from top
Hi I am Vortash sounds to me as if the Magnetron is burning out and the heat sensor switch is turning the unit off as the mag gets hot ? .. you can get a cheap replacement of ebay but to be honnest microwaves are so cheap now you will probably get an oven for what you would pay for a new magnetron .. Regards Vortash
Sounds like the Magnetron may have collapsed. Probably not worth repairing. Check for burnt/browned components on circuit board/s. Burnt wires, insect or ant damage or soiling. Magnetron is the large-ish square metal object with lots of heat-sink fins on it. Check for discolouration. If nothing obvious, it's probably stuffed, If something is obvious, it's still stuffed, but it may be repairable.:::Spiceweasel.au