Replace agitator dogs, which should be available at your local appliance parts store for around $10. Replacement takes about 20 minutes (for a Whirlpool washer, at least.) Remove the center filter and you'll see a bolt (11 mm in the Whirlpool.) Remove the bolt, which you may be able to do with hand-turn socket wrench unless you have an extension for your ratchet. Removing the entire plastic agitator assembly is easy when tugging from below.
This next part may note be needed, but: Once you have the assembly out put it on the floor and stand on it. To remove the free moving part of the agitator, grab the fins and give it a good tug or two to free it from the lower assembly. It may take a bit of effort. Remove the inards, replace the four dogs, and reassemble.
It was *really* easy to do...and certainly a lot cheaper than having someone come out or, as we thought we were headed, to replace the washer.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The Whirlpool Ultimate Care II washing machine is atop-loading clothes washer. The washer has several cycles to choose from,including cycles for washing normal clothes, permanent press items, delicateand items marked "Hand Wash." To do its job, thewashing machine relies on an agitator, located in the center of the wash tub.The agitator rotates during the wash cycle, moving the clothes around the washtub so that they are cleaned equally. If the agitator is broken, it will notsufficiently agitate the clothes and must be replaced.
·1 Unplug the washing machine from the wall outlet or turn off the power supplyin your service panel.
· 2 Open thewashing machine lid and remove any clothes remaining inside.
· 3 Remove thefabric softener cup by squeezing the bottom lip of the cup and lifting itstraight off.
· 4 Pry theagitator cap off of the top of the agitator with a flat-head screwdriver.
· 5 Remove thebolt at the bottom of the agitator, using the socket wrench with extension, andthen remove the agitator from the washing machine. Tip the agitator to removethe bolt and washer.
· 6 Install thenew agitator onto the drive shaft.
· 7 Secure thenew agitator with the bolt that you originally removed.
· 8 Press theagitator cap and fabric softener cup back into position on top of the newagitator.
· 9 Restore powerto the washing machine to complete the repair.
You need to remove the screw from the center of the agitator and pull up on the agitator from the bottom , to remove it . Seperate the 2 piece agitator , and replace the 4 agitator " dogs " . Reasemble . The " dogs " lets the top section of the agitator only move in 1 direction causing the clothes to " tumble " . OR , take the complete agitator to a parts house and they will install them for you .
When you look down into the agitator, are there 4 white plastic points that look slightly melted or otherwise deformed? If so, using a small flat head screw and a small hammer, separate the white plastic from the surrounding translucent plastic. Once you've done that, it should easily pull apart.
yes, sounds like your agitator dogs are broken, four beige teeth inside top of agitator part only roughly 4.99 to 29.99 and labor 65.00 - 95 labor depending were u live and who u use. thank you allbrandsappliancerepair.com