I am unable to connect my intel 2011B with my new netgear wireless router. Have changed security to wep and been on tech support with netgear all afternoon. It connects to all of my other computers. Intel will not provide tech support. Any suggestions?
Note: You need to use a computer hardwired to the router to check the wireless settings.
1. Open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator. 2. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key. 3. A window will prompt for a user name and password. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
Note: If it doesn't take password as the password, you might have changed it when you have run the NETGEAR Setup CD so please try other passwords. If you can't remember the password, you need to reset the router and run the Setup CD to reconfigure it.
4. When the setup page opens, click on the Wireless Settings under Setup and take note of the SSID. 5. You may also change the wireless channel here. We suggest channels 1, 6 and 11. 6. At the bottom of the page, look for the Security Options. If in case that the security is set to WEP or WPA-PSK, we have to enter the same wireless security on all wireless PCs. To make sure of the key, we can try modifying the security. Please refer to the following:
For WEP: Select Key 1 and enter 10 hexadecimal digits (0-9 and A-F) on the empty box beside it. Then, click on Apply.
For WPA-PSK: Enter an alphanumeric key (minimum of 8 characters) on the Passphrase box and click on Apply.
Note: The Key and Passphrase are case-sensitive.
7. On the left pane, please scroll down and click on Wireless Settings under Advanced. Please make sure that the boxes for Enable Wireless Router Radio and Enable SSID Broadcast are checked. 8. Click on the Setup Access List button and uncheck the box Turn Access Control On. 9. Click the Apply button.
B. Connecting to the Wireless Network
For Windows XP Service Pack 1:
1. Please right click on the Wireless icon on the right lower end portion of your computer. Then click on View Available Wireless Networks. 2. Click on the Advanced tab. 3. Please delete all the preferred networks then click on OK. 4. Right click on the Wireless icon again and click on View Available Wireless Networks. 5. Please select your network and click on Connect. If you have Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-fi Protected Access (WPA) enabled on the router, it will ask you for the network key. Please type in the Network Key and then confirm it. 6. Make sure not to enable IEEE and then click on Connect.
For Windows XP Service Pack 2:
1. Please right click on the Wireless icon on the right lower end portion of your computer. Then click on View Available Wireless Networks. 2. Click on the Change Advanced Settings. 3. Click on the Wireless Networks tab remove all the preferred networks then click on OK. 4. Right click on the Wireless icon then click on View Available Wireless Networks. 5. Select your network and click on Connect. 6. If you have Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) enabled on the router, it will ask you for the network key. Type in the network key and confirm it. Then click on Connect.
For Windows Vista:
1. Click Start then select Connect To. 2. Connect to a network window will show up. 3. Select your wireless network and click Connect. 4. It will ask you for a network key. Type in the network key and confirm it. Then click on Connect.
Note: You may use the wireless utility of your wireless adapter in connecting to the wireless network but you need to clear "Use Windows to configure my wireless networks" on the Wireless Networks tab.
We hope that the above steps provided would help resolve the problem. If the steps above did not work, we will need to get some additional details from you to be able to assist you further. I have summarized my questions below:
1. Can your computer go online when it is hardwired to the router? 2. What wireless adapter are you using? 3. What is the operating system of your computer?
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Connect a LAN cable from the Netgear to the LAN port on yourcomputer, open a browser and enter the Netgear configuration URL - http://192.168.0.1 The default login = admin The default PW = password
You can now change the admin password and configure thewireless settings. Go to the wireless configuration and set up the SSID and WPA or WPA2encryption. Apply these settings to the wireless card in your laptop/computer.
Use an ethernet cable to connect a computer to any one of the four LAN ports of the NETGEAR router.
In a web browser, enter the router's IP address - either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 by default.
When prompted for a Username and Password, enter the default username and password (admin; password) unless you have already changed it. NETGEAR recommends changing the default password to increase the security of your network.
Select Wireless Settings from the Setup menu in the left-hand navigation bar.
Under Security Options, select WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy).
From Security Encryption (WEP) > Authentication Type, select Automatic.
From Security Encryption (WEP) > Encryption Strength, select 64-bit or 128-bit. NOTE: You will need to configure your wireless computers with the same setting.
From Security Encryption (WEP) Key, select Key 1 and enter a key.
Note: WEPkeys are entered in hexadecimal digits, which are any combination of 0-9, A-F.
If you selected 64-bit under Security Encryption (WEP) > Encryption Strength, then enter 10 hexadecimal digits for your key.
If you selected 128-bit under Security Encryption (WEP) > Encryption Strength, then enter 26 hexadecimal digits for your key.
SAVE or KEEP NOTE of these values - they will be required to connect wirelessly to your network.
Hi, Security key in side the router. To get the key you need to access the routers web interface. Please follow the steps below on a wired pc. A pc which is directly connected with the netgear router using an Ethernet cable. 1. Open internet explorer and in the address box type http://192.168.0.1 and press enter. It should ask you a user name and password. User name is admin and password is the word password. click on login or ok. If you don’t get user name and password window with http://192.168.0.1 and try http://192.168.1.1 or http://routerlogin.net 2. Click on wireless settings on the left hand side. 3. Under the security section if the security is wep then note down the key one and this is the security key you need. If the security is something else then you wont be able to see the security key it will ******. In this i'll suggest you to change the security key to wep, encryption should be 64 bit and authentication type should be open. In the security key one box you need to type in the security key, The lenght of the key should be 10, you can only use a-f and 0-9. For example 123abc567f. and save the settings. Try connecting on the wireless pc. Note: if you change the security key then you need to connect all the wireless devices with the new key. Hope this helps you! Rashish.
what is not compatible to the WEP. is it computer or the router ? All the routers are compatible with WEP. If you want to change the security type, you can change it to WPA. For this you will need to access the router set up page. Is there any computer connected to the router ? If not then you will need to connect the computer to the router . open the set up page of the router and change the security mode. also change the network name. Once you change these settings , you will need to connect to the new wireless network on all your computers and other wireless devices in the network.
Click Here for more information about the router and networking
You need to set up network security on both the router and the computers you connect to it. Log in to the web settings page (probably https://192.168.0.1) for the router and you'll find a security tab.
To enable WEP password follow the steps below on a wired computer connected to the router.
1. Open browser and type the address as http://192.168.1.1 or http://www.routerlogin.com.
2. Login with username as admin and password as password.
3. Click on wireless settings in the left hand side menu.
4. Under security options if wep is
This article explains how to configure WEP/WPA-PSK/Access list on NETGEAR Wireless router (also applicable to access points). Note:
You can configure WEP or WPA. But you cannot enable both at the same time.
You can configure Access list and also enable WEP or WPA for additional security.
After you enable wireless security features on the router (or access point), you must configure your wireless clients (wireless computers) with matching settings. Your wireless clients will not be able to connect unless you configure matching settings.
Its recommended you enable these wireless security settings from a computer wired to the router (or access point).
Connect a computer to any one of the four LAN ports of the NETGEAR router.
Open an Internet explorer and type the router IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 (by default, refer to your product documentation ti determine the default IP address.) in the address bar and press Enter. The Login window will be prompting for a Username and Password. The default Username is admin and the default Password is password
Click Wireless Settings under Setup menu.
Under Security Options, Select WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
Select Authentication type as Automatic and Encryption Strength as 64-bit (or 128-bit) - You must later configure your wireless computers with the same setting.
Select Key 1 and enter any 10 hexadecimal digits - any combination of 0-9, A-F (26 digits if you selected 128-bit as the encryption strength) and Apply the settings. Please note down these values - You must later configure your wireless computers with the same setting.