Question about Whirlpool 21.0 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator with IceMagic Plus Ice Maker
I have a whirlpool refrigerator model ET1FTTXKQ02 and I have ice build up in the bottom of the freezer and water in the bottom of the fridge that eventually spills out onto the floor. If I take the ice out of the bottom of the freezer it is ok for a couple days the the cycle starts all over again. I have a Whirlpool refrigerator Model number ET8GHMXL005. IT IS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD. THERE IS WATER SITTING ON THE SHELVES IN THE REFRIGERATOR AND A LARGE AMOUNT OF WATER AND ICE UNDER THE PRODUCE DRAWERS IN THE BOTTOM. SOMETIMES THE WATER RUNS OUT ON TO THE FLOOR. WHAT IS WRONG? HOW DO I FIX IT?
Thanks to all who spent money or shared their experience to have somebody do this repair, and I really mean it.
I have a Whirlpool TopLoad Fridge (not a side by side).
Things you'll need
Small socket for cardboard panel on lower back and panel inside freezer
1. Take everything out of freezer
2. Turn dials off in fridge for both compartments
3. Pull fridge out so you can get behind it and unplug it
4. Be vigilant of ice maker line if installed
5. Pull cardboard panel off on back
On the left side you should see the back of the skinny drip pan and a small line. That line goes from the freezer and is most likely clogged.
6. Blow dry the back of the freezer enough so the ice is thawed at the bottom of the back panel.
7. Remove the two screws on the back panel. You may just be able to pull it toward you enough to get behind it. You'll see the coils and fan, and underneath these you may see some ice sheets and there should be a hole. That is the drain line that is clogged. I heated up some water and poured it over the drain to thaw the line. You may want to remove the crisper drawers and put some towels down there to catch the overflow. Once the ice is thawed enough at the drain. Go to the back of the fridge and place the end of the bicycle pump at the bottom of the drain hose. Apply pressure to get a good seal but keep pumping. You may have to go back and forth between pumping and thawing, but you'll know it is clear when you hear air going into the freezer and then the wonderful moment when water drips into the drip pan as advertised!
Keep those fridges less full so that the door stays sealed and keep the seal clean and also keep your doors from having too much stuff so the weight of the door doesn't pull away.
Okay, put it back together, turn everything on and be careful of your cord and lines when pushing the fridge back. Thank the Lord ours has wheels and man,was it cruddy underneath. Vacuum those coils underneath the fridge too for proper air circulation.
Blessings to you!
Posted on Jan 11, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 20, 2011 | Whirlpool ET1FHTXM Top Freezer...
Jun 24, 2011 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
Check out these tips...they can help you figure out what is going wrong with your refrigerator and why it is not cooling
Refrigerator not Cooling or Fridge not Cooling
How to Defrost Refrigerator Defrost Timer Problem
Water Running in refrigerator from Freezer
Feb 03, 2011 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
Jul 29, 2010 | Whirlpool 21.0 cu. ft. Top Freezer...
Jul 11, 2010 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
Mar 14, 2010 | Whirlpool 21.0 cu. ft. Top Freezer...
Jun 03, 2009 | Refrigerators
Feb 12, 2009 | Whirlpool GB9SHKXL Bottom Freezer...
Mar 12, 2008 | Whirlpool ET8RHMXKQ Top Freezer...
Aug 29, 2007 | Whirlpool ET1FHTXM Top Freezer...
1,932 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: