Question about Sunbeam SBM1000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave don't work

When it turned on I hear a strange low frequency noise and a light smell of burned plastic. After removing the cover, inside nothing unusual was noted. Everything is clean. Nothing looks like burned.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 3,130 Answers
Re: Microwave don't work

You didnt mention if the oven worked or not. Its not blowing the fuse?? Ok it could be as simple as the Diode or capacitor but dont try to touch the capacitor terminals as it holds a nice charge.. Turn on the oven for a bit with a cup of water inside and let it run for a few minutes. If you start to see smoke pull the plug right away!!!!! If you dont let the water boil(about 2 to 3 minutes thyen unplug and carefully fell around for a HOT part, But dont touch any electrical connections! If theres something drawing to much current it will get hot. Ive had bad capacitors bad and causes the transformer to get too hot. as well as bad magnatrons cause the transformer to get to hot. I would recomend that you take this unit in to be diagnoised as there are alot of voltage in this oven as I ststed before and it is dangerous for a handyperson to be fiddling with it. Good Luck

Posted on May 30, 2006

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My NN-P295 wouldn't allow me to turn off the light about a week ago, so it remained on all the time. Then last night it was making a strange clicking noise. I got up to find the source of the noise and the...

It sounds to me you have short in the keypad controller system, from your description this is a very dangerous fire hazard situation, and the microwave in my view should replaced.

Feb 21, 2011 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Our JVM1850 makes strange noises, its lights flicker, the microwaves smokes and the unit emits a burning plastic smell. This unit is only 1 1/2 years old.


Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips



Feb 15, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Our Sharp microwave oven turns on, makes a loud humming noise, starts to smell like something is burning, but doesn't heat. Well, actually, we don't think it heats, we're too scared to let it run because...

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} This can be caused by grease etc. inside the oven and on the wave guide which is the paper like thing in the oven. If you can remove it look for burnt areas which may can be scraped off or you may need to replace it. An appliance parts store usually has the material you can cut to fit you own.

Dec 10, 2009 | Sharp R-530ES Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I'm getting a flash inside the oven and the plastic on the inside roof has a burn mark. I removed the plastic cover over the micro wave generator and it did not spark. is the oven dying? It is a 1983 0ver...

It looks like the metal part inside the oven is exposed to the high frequency rf waves. this may sound strange but try coating the metal part with fresh paint. remember no metal inside the oven will stand the waves created inside the oven the spark u see is the waves hitting the exposed metal part inside the oven

Oct 13, 2009 | Magic Chef MCD1311ST Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Smells like burnt wires

It is very possible it may have burnt wire or burnt capacitor. Remove unit, remove top cover and look inside to see if you see any burn marks or burnt wires. Also check fuse to see if it is good or not.

Aug 07, 2009 | Whirlpool MH1141XM Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Noise while not running

don;t worry;
all you need to do is lubricate the fan bearings with light machine oil and make sure the fan is not hitting anything

Apr 18, 2009 | Kenmore 63682 / 63684 / 63689 Microwave...

3 Answers

Microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic

Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips


Jan 25, 2009 | Kenmore 64663 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800 first no inside light followed by loud noise

I agree that the light is unrelated. 99.9% chance you have a bad magnetron tube but it is covered by either a 5 or 10 year parts warranty through GE. Call GE Factory Service at 1-800-432-2737 or schedule online at

Dec 16, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

4 Answers

Microwave turns, gives out strong burnt plastic smell, little (or no) heating

I would first suggest that you look inside the cooking cavity to see if your wavegudie cover is burned or carbonized. If so, it will need to be replaced. You can order one via Tritronics at The job of the waveguide cover is to protect the waveguide (opening) and the magnetron from buildup of food particles and grease. When the grease and food particles build up on and behind the cover, they will carbonize and arc - and maybe even flame up! The solution is to clean it and keep it clean - but if it's too dirty or is burned, it must be replaced. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the cover to clean both sides of it, and to clean the edges of the opening it covers. It is sometimes held in place with a small plastic rivet (or screw) and once that is removed, the cover will slide over a little then drop down. Be VERY careful not to get cut on the potentially sharp edges of the opening, and do not spray anything into the opening. Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) and /or gentle scouring powder to a cloth or paper towel and carefully wipe it out, then when it's dry, reinstall the cover and the rivet. I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics. Once you remove and / or clean the cover and clean the opening of the waveguide, if it still won't heat and/or still has the smell, you may have a bad magnetron or high-voltage transformer. Feel free to post back if you still have trouble.

Dec 05, 2006 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

It just doesn't work.

Did he plug it back into the first spot? Assuming so and assuming it still doesn't work, then I would say that you have a blown fuse. That can be caused by a loose fuse holder, misalignment or damage to the door, etc. It may also have an open or tripped thermostat. We have text files covering critical safety, disassembly, and door switches. You can find them via a search on (not Google) for this: microwave circuit repair At this point the oven needs to be checked out a bit. With these text files, and proper caution, it can be done pretty easily.

Nov 30, 2006 | Sharp R-303CW Convection / Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sunbeam SBM1000 Microwave Oven Logo

161 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sunbeam Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

4722 Answers

Are you a Sunbeam Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides