Question about Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Model DEGX1 electric dryer
Dryer is taking too long to dry. The dryer heats but only 1 of the elements seems to be turning on.
In this model, there is a control module with two relays. Upon removing the cover, I found a red power wire melted and disconnected, with the plastic plug fused to the metal connector at the relay. A yellow wire is also attached to this relay but with no visible damage to it. I replaced the red wire and connector, hooked to the relay and tried the dryer.
I can see the elements through a space in the aluminum shielding but it seems that only some of the elements actually heat up. I've checked voltages on the wires (red and yellow) and I get 120 on each. The dryer will dry the clothes as some of the coils heat up and turn orange.
Here are my questions:
Do you think the relay is bad? I'm not sure but I can hear some relay switch on and off (click) and the elements that do turn orange will stop. Later they come on again, after another click. Everything else seems to work fine on the dryer at this point -- other than slow drying.
Would current flow through a damaged heating element without heating it? I check the current at both sides of the element and both sides read 120. I have two sets of wires to check, violet and yellow. Also, there are three sensors on the heating unit, two small ones wired in what looks to be a sequence; and a slightly larger one with the reset button. I'm guessing these are the temperature sensor and/or the overheat safety switches.
I guess I need to know if I should use the dryer or if I should replace the control module and/or heating element. I am capable enough to replace the parts myself, I just want to know what I should replace.
Okay...I'm not familiar with the configuration of Fisher and Paykel dryers. I am familiar with many other dryers, though. If the wires become melted this is usually caused by excessive current flow or a loose connection. When wires at a terminal become loose the intermittent connection can cause arcing which leads to the generation of heat, which causes the wire or connector to burn open. I have also seen heating elements short out against the casing and cause an excessive current flow problem.
Just so we're clear here, current is the force that causes electrons to flow. It is usually measured in amperes (or amps). What you are measuring is the voltage. Voltage is the difference in potential between two points. If you were to measure voltage between two points (such as through a simple wire coil) you would read 0 volts because there is no differnce in potential between the two points, as the coil should read a short. Now, if you have a RESISTIVE coil, or a coil that is open (broken) the same measure would yield a voltage reading, because there is now a difference in potential between the two points. Does this make sense to you? I know it can be confusing at times because you normally associate a voltage reading as something being good. In a nutshell: if you measure across a wire coil and read voltage - the coil is open. If you read 0 volts - the coil is good.
Who knows what caused the melted wire in your appliance. The one thing I am sure of is this is not normal. If you want to replace the relay to be sure, that is your judgement call. Relays do go bad. I would strongly recommend replacing the heating element as it appears that this model has a dual element that will still work (to some degree) if one side fails. Very ingenious design, by the way.
In addition, a lot of heat related problems associated with dryers are attributed to poor ventilation. A dryer requires proper air flow in order to work efficiently. If you have not cleaned or inspected your dryer vent ducting recently (or ever), you may want to. This is the source of many dryer malfunctions and can create a fire hazard or habitat for rodents. The rule of thumb when it comes to ventialtion is: The SHORTER and STRAIGHTER the ventilation, the BETTER. Every bend or rise you put in a dryer exhaust vent line creates resistance against the blower motor and possible choke points for lint to accumulate. The lint screens in dryers are not perfect and they do not collect ALL the lint. Simply cleaning the lint trap in many cases is not enough. Cleaning after every use, however, does cut down on the potential for your ducting to become clogged. If a dryer is allowed to run in a condition where it has poor air flow, the heating circuits will actually overheat to the point of failure. I mention all of this because I don't want you to replace parts only to have the appliance fail again due to poor ventilation.
I hope you find some of this information helpful. Let em know if you have any further questions.
Posted on Sep 12, 2008
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dryer heating elements come in various shapes and sizes. They are all strung with a coiled wire made of a nickel and a chrome alloy. This wire receives, but resists, a controlled electric current and as a result, the wire heats up. The heat produced is used to heat and dry the clothes in your dryer.
Jul 12, 2011 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Jun 29, 2011 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Dec 02, 2010 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Feb 24, 2010 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Jun 20, 2009 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Sep 07, 2008 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Aug 23, 2007 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
Jun 23, 2014 | Fisher and Paykel DEGX1 Electric Dryer
170 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: