An old machine but it was free! I am trying to power it up but no go. I
have plugged into mains supply. Under the main screen is a small LCD
display which shows 4 batteries, each one lights up in succession, left
to right. I presume that indicates charging ? When I press the power on
button, there is a click and some power on noise and in the LCD display
a little 2 pin plug symbol appears briefly but then machine goes off.
Any ideas ?
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you are getting no lights, no screen, no beeps, the issue is either the power button or the internal power supply. Given the age of the machine, it's not unheard of for an internal power supply to die in 2 years, but it's rare. I'd lean toward a broken power button.
Hi,can you please give me a little more information about your main board,any power,any video to computer screen at all,dpes the main power supply box power up where the black power cord is plugged in the back of the computer?Any of these things will help me in a closer resolution to your problem,thank you:)
Remove the mains power lead and then take out the battery. Hold down the on/off button for 30 seconds to dispel any residual power.
Plug in just the mains lead (AC adapter) and see if the machine will boot on mains power only. If it does let it boot up and then shut it down again. Remove AC and reinsert the battery, plug in AC power again and see if it will boot with the battery in.
If it boots up the problem is sorted, if not then there is a problem with battery so you would have to use it on AC only until you find a replacement battery.
Try this remove the main battery and mains power supply, hit the power switch to drain any retained charge. then remove the cmos battery. The cmos battery is on the right under the
panel at the top of the keyboard, which can be popped out by gently
levering it up at the edges. the key board can then be folded clear,
watch for the ribbon cable under it that connects to the motherboard.no other way i know of. You might want to check this location first get to the cmos battery via the
removable panel on the bottom right front of the case (other side from
the battery). first remove the main battery. next remove the panel,
under it you will see a modem card, remove the modem card and you
should see the cmos battery to the right side its loke a big watch
battery. there will be a connector on the wires going to the battery.
remove this to disconnect it. now just push the start button with the
machine un plugged, just to discharge any residual power. wait a couple
of minutes then reconnect the cmos battery then the modem card, then
the main battery. plug it in and start it up. the screen will come up
with something like "cmos bad checksum, defaults loaded" do not worry
this is normal. if it doesn't start normally, switch it off by holding
the on button down until it goes off then restart. it should be fine
after that, password gone. you can then get into your bios and set it up to your liking. I recommend not putting in a password. Let me know if this works for you. JimmyC
When you power your system up do you get a message saying battery charge failure or some other disappointing driver message? Try powering down, removing the battery, and look for a little button on the underneath of the battery. You should be able to press this button and a series of lights will or won't appear. If they light up it means the battery is truly charged. If not there is something wrong with the connection. Try wiping the surface off and replacing the battery. Also make sure the pin that you place into the laptop to charge the battery is free of dust, etc.
The DC jack is probably at fault. Moving it in and out and back and fourth may get you a temporary supply of power to charge you back up. The DC jack is a common fault and since your's is a refurbished unit, it may still be under warranty. So if you can get it going by playing with the jack, then you may have a proper fix if it's still has a warranty. Otherwise you may be able to fix it yourself. The power supply could also be the fault, and metering the voltage can tell you if that's the problem. Try the above suggestions and report back so we can help you further. Good luck.
Whats the spec of your power supply (approx 19v dc @ 3 - 4 Amps...)
Voltage 'OFF LOAD' is irrelevant - its the power consumption (A) that you need to validate (Do not measure directly)
Does the Laptop power up under mains feed ?
Is your concern mainly the fact that the battery(s) are not charging ?