Question about Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
My Microwave caused the circuit breaker to swicth off after pushing the start button. Being in a hurry I actually set the temperature and pushed the start button very rapidly after that. I'm pretty sure not at the same time though, since I had to move my hand to hit the start button.
After a pretty loud noise there was some gun powder like burned smell. A day later I opened up the device for visual inspection, but I couldn't find anything. After I put back the covering I powered it up again and it still seems to function.
My question is, is the microwave still safe to use now? Some component must have got damaged during the short circuit and something must have caused it to happen?
If the fuse or breaker blew again, you probably have a shorted high voltage capacitor. If not, then you may have a shorted high voltage rectifier diode.
Here are some links you or someone you know can use (in order given) for test help, but read the safety warnings first:
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.
There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Sep 16, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 02, 2016 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens
Apr 04, 2014 | Whirlpool GH7208XR Convection / Microwave...
Oct 12, 2010 | Samsung Microwave Ovens
Jan 06, 2010 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven
Dec 18, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 09, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
May 15, 2009 | Whirlpool GH4155XP Microwave Oven
Nov 09, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jul 07, 2008 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Mar 21, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven
Nov 14, 2016 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
1,425 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!