My fireplace began burning without anyone touching the remote etc. I live alone and discovered the burning fireplace when I woke up this morning. I tried to turn it off--first using the remote--then using the ON/OFF switch. It will not go off.
I have called a technician to fix it. However--I would like to know how this could happen. I am concerned because I am away from this house frequently and don't want a fireplace burning unless I turn it on.
The remote controls have two batteries. The one in the receiver was dead. It, turned the fireplace on. Because the remote overrides the ON/OFF switch in the fireplace--I could not turn the unit off. I did not know this. Did not know that a dead battery could turn a fireplace on. I think this is a safety issue because I am not always at this home. The remote was made in China. Stupid design and I will have to do more to cure this problem. I may bring the situation to Consumer Safety. Fed. Gov. because I can't be the only person with the problem. No manual came with the remote. Hence no warning.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Electric fireplaces are becoming more and more popular with today's homeowner's. The main advantage of the electric fireplace is generally portability, convenience, low initial cost is important. They also are a good choice when the looks are not as important as function. Some electric fireplaces have simulated flames that give the look of traditional fireplaces. Another great option to include is a built-in fan to help distribute the heat more effectively. With some of these high end units it can be very hard to tell the difference between an electric fireplace and a wood burning stove. Along with this option may come a heatless setting the will give the look of flames but produce no heat. The remote control has also found its way to the fireplace market. There are many units that can be remotely controlled. Electric fireplaces are generally cheaper than gas fireplaces. A good unit can be bought for about $500 (there are cheaper models available, but they tend to have fewer options and the flames are not as real looking). These fireplace units are fairly easy to install compared to a gas fireplaces or wood-burning stoves (both of which usually need flues to vent). If you can plug in an electric cord then this type of fireplace may be for you. The electric units are perfect for apartment buildings and condominiums. These places are not suitable for the traditional wood fireplace. Just like other types of portable electric heaters, electric fireplaces will radiate heat very quickly extreme care must be taken to not have any combustibles too close to them. You will see how an electric fireplace can transform any setting for you. The newest modern, advanced electric units have far more aesthetically appealing views. They might include fiber optic displays, or randomized lights designed to make the look of dancing flames. Now whether you're living in a condo or apartment and can't have a real fireplace, the electric fireplace can be a great way to get some of the warmth and ambiance. Also remember that these units are very portable, so you can take them with you when it's time to move. Even though I have never been a big fan of electric fireplaces, because of the expense of their operation, I can see why they would be very popular with many apartment or condos owners.
My recommendation would be to contact a fireplace showroom that sells electric fireplaces. It would be best if you could inspect your fireplace for the sticker that identifies the fireplace's brand and model#. The primary concern is contacting a showroom that is able to order parts for that brand...
It sounds to me like you have a bad flame sensor.Luckily most of the time they are pretty easy to change. If you have your manual it will show you the physical location of flame sensor. Usually 1 or 2 screws holding it in place. Remove screws and unplug wires to remove sensor.Install new sensor and hopefully you're in business. Thank you.
Hi , you can try and pull the panel on the bottom of fireplace out and check the adapter in fireplace. Sometimes they go bad. When you open in also check to see if there is an adapter plugged in and a option to use the battery operated function. If this goes bad the pilot will not stay lit.