An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: me just asking
I need more to see what your problem is ??? what you mean you had a cap attached to it and almost caught on fire.?? and why would something inside be touching?? have you had the unit open?? as parts dont ussally move around and "touch" all by themselfs Please respond back with more info!!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Im not sure if you a very knowledgeable of car audio but first make sure the rca's are plugged in!!!! Then make sure the gain is all the way up on your amp, well atleast some of the way!!!!! Maybe they were real dirty and decided to cut your rca's somewhere in the car so they llok like there still hooked up but maybe they really aint!!!!! maybe your amp is fried!!!! But remember it worked fine when you brought it to them!!!! They are trying to stick ya man!!!!
positive (1 guage) from main battery to second battery positive terminal. hook all amps positive to second battery and hook 2nd battery ground to frame of car (where amp is now grounded) if you have a 2nd battery a cap is a waste of money. make sure all grounds (battery and amps) are together on same ground point of car, do not ground amps to battery - ground everything to 1 spot on the frame or body of the car ! - yes you can pigtail remote leads.
the voltage regulator in the alternator or the capacitor is malfunctioning. get a multimeter on the battery when u start the car (before the capacitor) if it reads a large surge (something greater than 14 or 15 volts) then u may need a new amp, if not, then test it on the back end of capacitor to the chassie negative, see if u detect spike there.
on rockford amps, the bass control knob needs to be connected to get the maximum output (+18 db gain i believe). If you did this to the power wires, then yes, you may have at least damaged the bass control knob. Try replacing this to see if you get all of your gain back. If not, then you have damaged something inside the amp...maybe a capacitor or power supply inside. If that's the case, you'll need to get the amp looked at by an electronics repair technician or local stereo shop.
To do it safely, you need to fully understand everything about the system. It would take too much to explain everything here. If you're really interested in doing this properly, read through the following site. Read the 'Fuses' page twice. It will help prevent an electrical fire.
Disconnect all speaker wires from the speaker terminals of the amp and disconnect the RCAs. Replace the 30 amp fuse with a 15 amp fuse. If you turn it on and it blows the fuse, it's likely that it has shorted output transistors. If that's the case, you need to have the amp repaired.
if the amp is still under warranty, i would rma it. there is no easy way to tell what happened without opening the amp up, but from your description, it sounds like it fried the board, or at the very least fried some of the capacitors inside the amp (although the smoke would usually be a bluish white if this were the case). this seems to happen if you are running them at anything over 15-16 volts, i have seen two of these fry at 18 volts.
it could be something as simple as a shorted wire or trace at the fuse receptacle, but once again, your best bet if it is under warranty would be to rma it and ask them to let you know what happened to it.