Question about Sharp R-220BW Microwave Oven
The job of the waveguide cover is to protect the waveguide (opening) and the magnetron from buildup of food particles and grease. When the grease and food particles build up on and below the cover, they will carbonize and arc - and maybe even flame up! The solution is to clean it and keep it clean - but if it's too dirty, it must be replaced. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the cover to clean both sides of it, and to clean the edges of the opening it covers. It is held in place with a small plastic rivet (or screw) and once that is removed, the cover will slide over a little then drop down. Be VERY careful not to get cut on the potentially sharp edges of the opening, and do not spray anything into the opening. Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) and /or gentle scouring powder to a cloth or paper towel and carefully wipe it out, then when it's dry, reinstall the cover and the rivet. I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the amonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics.
Posted on Sep 15, 2006
Can't tell you much about your little rectangle, but sparks can result from left over food particles that got carbonized, and a good cleaning might get rid of it, unless you like looking at the sparks(I heard you shouldn't stare at a microwave while working though, washing machines are safer). make sure you unplug it while cleaning or doing anything else, those micros are dangerous as hell. Take care
Posted on Mar 16, 2006
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: microwave ovens
The cover is probably the magenetron. That is where the microwaves come from. If the bread was moist, it might have left condensate in the unit which is causing the sparking. Unplug the unit, leave the door open over night. If you can remove that cover, do so. Be sure to carefully replace it before using the unit. Never turn on a microwave with nothing in it.
Posted on Dec 17, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 12, 2014 | Whirlpool MT2110SJQ 1100 Watts Microwave...
Jul 26, 2012 | Microwave Ovens
Aug 12, 2011 | GE Advantium SCA1001HSS Convection...
Apr 02, 2011 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens
Mar 09, 2011 | Cuisinart CMW-100 Microwave Oven
Dec 29, 2010 | Sharp R-244 800 Watts Microwave Oven
Mar 29, 2010 | Sharp R-230 Microwave Oven
Dec 16, 2007 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven
463 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: