Question about Harley Davidson Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Desktop Telephone

2 Answers

My '94 FLHTC no longer holds air in the front shocks.

Where do I look for a repair kit or do they have to be replaced?

Posted by on

  • E.R. Metz Sep 09, 2008

    This inquiry is about adjustable air shocks.



2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

There are really no front "shocks" on the 1994 FLHTC. The fork tubes are of conventional design. First things first - obtain a factory repair manual for your bike.

The suspension system of the FLHTC uses compressed air to stiffen the suspension components. For the rear, this additional air is added to the upper part of the shock absorbers. For the front, the handlebar is used as a storage chamber for compressed air. The level of air pressure is varied to suit the rider. Me? I like for a bike to be still so I use the maximum allowable air pressure.

Concerning the front suspension, there is a an "anti-dive" feature built into the circuit. For heavy bikes such as the FLHTC this circuit is controlled by a solenoid valve that switches to "closed" whenever the brake light circuit is made. This prevents the forks from unduly collapsing and maintains the geometry of the bike during hard braking.

The maximum amount of compressed air is small, and of low pressure, say from 10 to 15 psig. Over a long period of time it can leak out. Concering the rear shocks - if it leaks out quickly (four weeks or less) then it is probably due to a leaking hose fitting. There is one at the top of each rear shock absorber and some in the area of the valve stem (looks just like a tyre valve stem). I would check these first, and make sure the small hose is not damaged. These can be checked with a simple soapy water solution.

The front tubes can be a bit more of a challenge. Tube seals do eventually wear and leak oil and in the case of the FLHTC, air. I have a 1992 model whose front end I rebuilt at my shop this summer. This can be a bit of a challenge for most owners, so most would do better to take the bike to a qualified shop. But there are certain things that are very easy to check and repair before deciding to replace the fork seals and bushings.

The valve stem on the left handlebar uses the same internal components as the valve stem of a passenger tyre, and one can use soapy water to detect a leak here. At the bottom of the handlebar assembly there is a short piece of rubber hose that connects the handlebar to the solenoid valve. This can become dry and leak as well. The outer fairing and the radio must be removed to gain access to this hose. It can be checked for leaks the same way.

If the fork tube seals are leaking, there will be an undue amount of oil on the fork tubes and perhaps some on the outer sliders. Again, the servicing of these units is not something that a novice should tackle. I will say this - the factory manual describes a procedure where all tube components are completely removed from the bike and disassembled. It also describes that each fork tube assembly must be removed in order to fill it with the correct amount of fork oil. Neither are required when servicing the FLHTC provided one has access to a bike jack, a manual vacuum pump, and the ability to fabricate a couple of simple tools made from a plastic pipe coupling and a wooden dowel. But that adventure is for another forum.

In short - do the simple soapy water tests and hopefully the problem is easy to locate and cheap to fix. If not, you know what you must do next.

Kind Regards,

Posted on Oct 18, 2009

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 2,028 Answers

Air shocks are done when they no longer hold air, they'll need replaced. They can be rebuilt, (not sure why), but almost all places won't because it's cheaper to buy new ones, and not worth their time. You can also get a rebuild kit, but again, with the kit, specialty tools required, and the extreme pain in the arse that is involved, new ones are cheaper. So, with this said, buy new shocks, it's going to be cheaper and safer than rebuilding these.

Posted on Sep 15, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Air suspension 93 lincoln town car

Not really.
The air bags act as replacement or extra coil springs to hold the car up.
You might be able to replace them with coil springs from a Crown Vic.
That may cause problems with the front air bags and the rest of the system.

Aug 19, 2012 | 1993 Lincoln Town Car

1 Answer

Rear shock air pressure 05 harley with passenger

Hi Anonymous, you will nee a special air pump that can be obtained at your local dealer or on line (see website below) the recomended pressures are located on a label in the right saddle bag:
Motorcycle Repair Adjusting the Rear Suspension Air System Shocks on...
Good luck

Jul 21, 2012 | 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTC - FLHTCI...

1 Answer

How do you add air to the rear suspension of 1993 Harley Davidson FHLTC

Hi Anonymous, for more information about your question please visit the websites below. Good luck and have nice day.
Motorcycle Repair Adjusting the Rear Suspension Air System Shocks on...

Jun 11, 2012 | 2003 Harley Davidson FLHTC Electra Glide...

1 Answer

My 93 goldwing has no air shock valve for adjusting air pressure.would my bike have oil dampened front shocks a nd how do i service them if they are oil dampened.a freind told me they could be oil...

Actually all shocks are oil dampened - the air pressure just increases the dampening effect of the oil. In all Goldwings the front shocks air pressure is adjustable and supposed to be 6 psi.
If you no longer have the air ports on the shocks then something is very wrong with this bike - the front fork has been modified, the shocks have been replaced with non genuine parts. Have the bike inspected by a Honda certified repair shop immediately.

Jul 25, 2011 | Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Gold Wing...

1 Answer

Seat height is a little to high. How can I lower the bike a little or lower the seat height?

Hi Bighoot18, and the usual options are:
1. Thinner less paded seat.
2. Rear shock lowering kit.
3. Shorter shocks.
4. Shorter air shocks.
5. Front fork lowering kit.
6. Low profile tires.
Good luck and have nice day.

Feb 19, 2011 | 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTC - FLHTCI...

1 Answer

Have a 94 p/u toyota v6 ext. cab long bed. would like to know how to replace front shocks and brand that will add more lift..Chris

A lift kit is something other than new shocks. Google Toyota pickup lift kits. As far as replacing the shocks there is a single stud on the top of the shock and 2 bolts on the bottom that secure it to the truck frame. You'll need to raise the truck some and remove the tires to have room to work. This also is a "generic" process and you can probably find basic info using a search engine or even a video at youtube, etc.

Sep 09, 2010 | 1994 Toyota Pickup

1 Answer

Oil leaking from left rear air shock..small amount (few drops)..still holds air pressure(15-20 psi)

The fact that the air filled upper portion of the shock is still holding air doesn't change the fact that the o-ring seals in the oil filled portion at the bottom of the shocks are going bad. You are better off replacing both of them soon before it affects ride comfort and handling.

Jul 15, 2009 | 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTC - FLHTCI...

2 Answers

Changing rear air shocks

yes u can, u will need one of suncore industries kits ($539.00) to do the conversion to standard shock strut system, u will also need the relay kit. Call them before u buy.

May 14, 2009 | 1994 Cadillac DeVille

1 Answer

Lowering FLHTCUI

I lowered my 06 Street Glide 1 1/4" in the rear, using a bolt on, adjustable lowering kit that I purchased on Ebay. $100.00, including shipping. Took less than 30 minutes to install, and can be returned to stock, in about the same amount of time. It lowers Touring bikes either 1 1/4", or 2 1/2". If you ride 2-up, you'll have to keep some more air pressure in the rear shocks, to prevent bottoming. The SG shocks are 12" stock. The FLHTC/U has 13" shocks stock. The brand of lowering kit is R.U.B. Excellent quality, quick delivery. Hope this helps.

Nov 20, 2008 | 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI Electra Glide...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Lands Phones Logo

972 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Harley Davidson Lands Phones Experts

ted dux

Level 2 Expert

135 Answers

Ronny Bennett Sr.
Ronny Bennett Sr.

Level 3 Expert

6927 Answers

David Payne
David Payne

Level 3 Expert

14162 Answers

Are you a Harley Davidson Lands Phone Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides