Motorola W370 will not charge
Motorola provides a USB driver for just charging the W370. I installed it using the installation instructions from the Motorola website, but it just wouldn't work. The USB driver would install but would not activate (error Type 10). The W370 said that it could not charge. I recommend not bothering with this device driver, at least not with Windows XP.
However, I did figure out how to get the W370 charging from a USB port by trial and error. It's a pretty simple process.
1. Before plugging in the USB cable, turn on the W370 and wait for it to fully boot.
2. Connect the phone to the USB port of the computer.
3. When the phone asks "Connect phone as storage Device?", press the phone's left soft key, choosing "YES".
4. The phone will say "Please Wait...... Connecting Phone as Storage Device"
5. Eventually, the phone will display a white screen with the message, "In storage mode, no regular phone activities can be done."
6. Flip the phone closed. The yellow battery indicator will be lit. The phone is charging.
You'll note that the computer will see the W370 as a storage device with around 512 Megabytes of free memory, with empty "picture" and "sound" directories. The W370 appears to be a generic mass storage device to the computer. No special device driver is needed to charge the W370!
Mar 02, 2008 |