Question about Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

Power surges im a maintenance supervisor in a apartment building built in 1964 yesterday a resident reported power failure in one section of apt. for about a half an hour.she also said the lights were dimming and then surging bright also claims to have heard a crackling sound. no breakers were tripped. when i arrived at the apt everything was workinhg fine, i never came across a situation like that before.can someone give me some tips

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 640 Answers

I would check the panel (circuit breaker box).Remove the screws around the panel and lift off.Check the 3 phase incoming wires,they will be the largest thick wires.Check to see if the insulation has burned off the wires exposing the copper.If so the wires could be breaking down or some kind of appliance or load is drawing too much amperage.Also check from other residents if they have had a problem,if so the transformer on the pole feeding the building could be failing.

Posted on Sep 06, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Assemble a stiffel floor lamp


You may have to contact Stiffel for instructions

Jul 11, 2013 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

Power outlet


Sometimes accumulation of kitchen dirt can reduce contact on the outlet . If you can use a contact cleaning spray or even a WD40 into the contact it might help. If not you will need to open the outlet to confirm the case of power within the unit. Failure of power means the circuit must be traced back but presence of power confirms the switch fault.
You can use a holder and bulb to confirm the power along with a line tester to confirm if the phase is present. A multimeter is not an expensive investment but must be careful to use in the correct range.

Jan 06, 2012 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

We just moved into a new house, and whenever I use


It sounds like it could be one of the following issues:

1. Bad wiring to the bathroom receptacle - this should be a GFCI outlet.

2. There is an overload somewhere on the same circuit - try the dryer with nothing else turned on.

3. The hair dryer may be bad or have a bad cord, plug, etc. Hair dryers can also become plugged (the air inlet screen) and overheat.

4. There could be loose or other bad wiring somewhere in the circuit.

If you are not familiar with working with electricity, it would be best to call a qualified electrician. They are the pros and can correct the problem.

May 20, 2010 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

To whom do I report a bad oil-filled radiator heater?


Hello,
Here is the link to the manufacturer of your product.
I would call their customer service number to get a replacement of refund...

http://www.delonghiusa.com/index.php?texts&pid=3

Heatman101

Feb 27, 2010 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

Bulb comes on, turns off immediately on timer-installed switch


there could be a few reasons for this,
1. the timer could have been damaged during a power surge, = unusable and needs replacement
2. The program set to switch on and off was lost, and needs to be reset, try to operate the reset button, and setting the parameters again., If this is the cace, make sure the backup battery is still ok

Oct 24, 2009 | Specialty Electrics

2 Answers

Pressure cooker wont build pressure


you may need to replace the o-ring seal or replace the the pressure gauge

Oct 11, 2009 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

BRK smoke/co2 detector - won't stop beeping


sometimes the alarms are ganged to other apartments .. that's so if there is a fire in one apartment then others are alerted as well .. so the low battery warning could be from a neighbor ... also there may be a common ceiling space that will allow you to hear your neighbors detector .. at any rate someone around you has a low battery in their detector .. if they are ganged then that may be an apartment management maintenance item ..

Sep 19, 2009 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

Smell Coming From Intertherm Furnace


It could be several things.

The most alarming being a cracked heat exchanger allowing the exhaust fumes to enter the living space.

Exhaust fumes that contain carbon monoxide.

I HIGHLY RECCOMEND that you purchase carbon monoxide detectors, and/or check the batteries in any you might already have.

Carbon monoxide can be deadly at high concentrations.

It could be burning wires, but would smell like burnt rubber.

It could be mold/mildew but would smell musty like dirty socks.

It could be a build up of dust oil etc on the heat exchanger, but that is usually only smelled when it is started up for the first time in months.

Make sure the filters are clean. Dirty filters can cause overheating of the heat exchanger and sometimes cause smells.

This is one of those times I will recommend you have a professional look at your unit.
Specifically the heat exchanger to look for cracks.

A pro will know where to look, where the usual stress points are etc.

Dec 10, 2008 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

Basement up flush tiliet.


Is this a grinder pump with float switch? Or is it built into toilet sump?

First in either case if you can identify the capacitor, get one and replace it, they wear out over time anyway. If that fixes it, you are done the easy way.

Many of these type motors are throw aways, and finding the switch, let alone getting it apart and replacing it is more trouble than buying a new motor if available.

If you are plumbed in, and have no other choice but major construction to replace an up toilet, we can attempt a repair at our shop, if that is against the rules here, sorry, but I know what a complicated and near impossible fix this might be, sometimes the motors are riveted together, so if you need help and want to mail it to me for an estimate, we are happy to take a quick look.

wbwill@sbcglobal.net

Will

Aug 10, 2008 | Specialty Electrics

1 Answer

Low hot water pressure but the cold water pressure is good.


If the build up is really bad you will have to take the whole unit apart. Remove all the elements and break up what you can with a wire coat hanger or something similar. Use a product like Lime Away. Check the elements carefully as they can be damaged by build up. You probably have one or more burned out from this. Check continuity and replace if needed. Make sure the wattage is the same as the old one. If it is a different shape make sure no element touches another. This should solve your problem

Jul 04, 2008 | Hatco C 24 Compact Electric Booster Water...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Specialty Electrics Logo

Related Topics:

47 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Specialty Electrics Experts

John
John

Level 2 Expert

473 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

13561 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

61168 Answers

Are you a Specialty Electric Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...