The question is, "Was it ever fast?"
If the answer is "Yes" you've got too much junk cluttering up your system!
First thing is first:
1) If you're on XP: Start>Run>Type in msconfig>Click OK
2) If you're on Vista: Start>Type in msconfig>Press Enter
3) On the "System Configuration Utility" that comes up, click on the "Startup" tab.
4) Uncheck EVERYTHING that is there.
5) Click "OK" and restart the computer.
your system comes back up, is it faster? More responsive? The answer
SHOULD be yes. What you should then do is download and install and run
the following pieces of software:
have free editions that you can use. This should clean up any spyware
that may be on your computer that is causing slowdowns.
answer after the msconfig is "No, it's still slow" then you've got more
serious software issues. Your best option would be to backup what you
need on your hard drive and format and reinstall windows. The computer
will run as well as it did the day you bought it!