Question about Sony DRU-820A DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
I have Window XP desktop with Sony DRU-840A burner with Nero 6 OEM. For 5 months, I used to burn 4.4 Gig DVDs in approx 15 min. For 3 weeks or so, it takes now 50 min. There is no ochange in my system, use of dvd media, excpet recently service pack 3 was installed as a window update. However, this problem started before the SP3 update I believe......Indra
Ok, problem has been fixed. Search of forums solved the problem.
SP3 and Office 2007 were not the problem.
I had a bad disk a week ago. Apparently, Windows will change the setting of the drive from DMA to PIO. This slows the data transfer rate significantly.
I uninstalled both the secondary IDE controller and the dvd burner. After starting up the computer, DMA was enabled. Nero and my burner were back to normal. Disks burned in 6 minutes vs 40 minutes.
See http://forum.videohelp.com/topic187112.html for details on what to do.
There was some advice on how to change the setting from PIO back to DMA by going into the registry, but there is some risk in doing so. I found that uninstalling the IDE controller and burner worked without having to fool around with the registry.
Posted on Oct 08, 2008
this is jag. I don't have exact solutions but may be this would be of some help
1. Defragment your hard disk. Due to fragmentation the hard drive seeking data will be enormous and takes a long time and also unhealthy for your hard disk. Regularly defragment atleast once a month.
SUGGESTIONS: IObit smart deframenter, Auslogics Disk defrag. they are free and fast
2. Don't run any programs while writing cd or dvd. this includes your music, screensavers, background progams (unneccessary not system related, you will know this in task manager, only stop the processes running under your name)
3. Use alternate CD/DVD burning program. Nero is a system hog. use the following according to your taste
1. Infra Recorder
2. Burn at once
3. CDBurnerXP Pro
4. Deep Burner. .... They are free and fast.
NOTE: if you want to burn DVD movies , i don't know properly, you have search answers in sourceforge.net or other websites. just google out these above softwares and you will get the right websites.for the softwares above.
4. Use Lens cleaner for your DVD drive. you can learn how to in some websites just google out. or buy some lens cleaner cd for your dvd writer, say to the person for dvd writer not dvd player
5. Free up space in your windows drive, too little space will hog your memory. atleast there should be 1 gb of free space. if not less than that. also clear temp files, etc.
6. check for the programs that start along with windows, stop unncessary ones, use startup control panel a very useful software.
7. dont run too much eye candy in windows, use less resource hungry themes and screensavers
if all else dont work . try to clear some 3 to 5 gb space and install UBUNTU 8.04 GNU/Linux and try writing the cds. ITS FREE!!!!! (CAUTION: Installing UBUNTU 8.04 GNU/Linux is a breeze, yet use the option for partitioning as use available free space not the option "use entire hard disk" or something like that. I tried CDandDVD writing in UBUNTU 8.04 GNU/Linux or for that matter any popular distribution like Opensuse, fedora core, etc. it burns faster than windows.
you can find ubuntu in ubuntu.com or its available in magazine cds like digit, chip etc chip carried a bootable disk in june 2008 issue, hunt for that if possible
ALso, forgot to tell you, flash your dvd writer, this is a bit dangerous but certainly useful. Wrong way of flashing may make your drive waste, not usable. Also update the latest firmware of your drive
see http://sony.storagesupport.com/models/21?tab=faq locate your model and download and install the firmwares etc.
hope this is of some help to you.
pls do inform me if it was really helpful or totally useless.
thanking you. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Posted on Sep 17, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 25, 2011 | Sony DRU-800A DVD±RW Dual Layer...
Jun 26, 2010 | Sony DRU840A DVD-RAM Burner
Sep 04, 2009 | HP dvd740i DVD±RW Dual Layer Burner
Dec 31, 2008 | Pioneer DVR-111D (DVR111DBK) DVD RW Dual...
Nov 14, 2008 | Sony DRU-710A DVD±RW Dual Layer...
Jan 14, 2008 | LaCie d2 DVD-RW Burner
Jan 06, 2008 | LaCie d2 DVD-RW Burner
Nov 14, 2007 | Sony DRU 510A DVD±RW Burner
Oct 27, 2006 | Sony DRU-710A DVD±RW Dual Layer...
576 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: