Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
It gets to 99% then error code comes up, i have tried turning internet off and on. stuck in a cycle of installing and error occuring. what do i need to do?!
SOURCE: System update error
Be sure to folleow these instructions to the letter, you could damage your PS3 if you choose the wrong option! I do not take any responsibility! Please proceed at your own risk! If you read and follow the instructions exactly you should not loose any data! Feel free to ask questions if you are confused so you don’t make a mistake!! Sorry, I had to say it, I don’t want anyone mad at me if they make a mistake, don’t back up their data and erase it, and then blame me…
The current version of the ps3 firmware has a “recovery console”.
You access it by
1. Start with having the system in standby (redlight is on)
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Press and hold the power button again and keep holding, it will beep as it turns on and then it will double beep. When you hear the double beeps immediately take your finger off the power button (if your system turns off before you get a double beep just try again and hold the button, it should double beep the 2nd time you try)
4. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
You will now have a screen with these options
1. Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
2. Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
CHOOSE THIS ONE 3.Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
4. Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
5. Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
6. System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT CHOOSE THE WRONG OPTION HERE OR YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA. The one that fixed my blu-ray drive is option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM
I REPEAT CHOOSE RESTORE FILE SYSTEM
After this, it is going to restart and bring up a screen reading something like “you have Corrupted System Data. Your PS will now replace this data” Then you choose continue and that should be it.
This option reinstalls the system files and drivers inside the PS3 with the original ones that are stored on your hard drive. In this case, it replaced a corrupted driver for the blu ray drive thus fixing my issue and hopefully yours!! This option will only replace all system files thus saving you from loosing any data that’s stored on your hard drive. Again this option does nothing to your hard drive it reads a file from the drive and rewrites it to the PS3 system.
Here is a video of the recovery screen.
If you want a more technical understanding of what this is really doing continue reading. DO NOT NEED TO READ THIS TO COMPLETE REPAIR. The PS3 does not boot from your hard drive as a computer does. It has a flash memory like a cell phone that stores all system files and system firmware updates that you get when the PS3 updates. This is why reformatting your hard drive will not fix your problem, none of the system files are stored on your hard drive (ex. XMB, system firmware, etc.) nor do they run from the drive. However, your hard drive does contain a full backup of your SYSTEM files and thus when you choose option 3: RESTORE FILE SYSTEM it rewrites the original system files from your drive (which aren’t corrupted) back to the flash memory, which is corrupt, thus solving the problem.
Posted on Apr 01, 2010
SOURCE: getting error code 8002f313 when
error codes can mean system failure. when my playstaion got the yellow light of death i found a website called www.videogame911.com they told me what was wrong with my system and how much it would cost before they did anything. they also saved all my data on my playstation.
Posted on Sep 12, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 17, 2011 | Video Game Consoles & Games
Aug 19, 2008 | Cameras
Aug 09, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jun 10, 2010 | Bosch Integra 800 SHX68M0xUC Dishwasher
Aug 31, 2009 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Jul 25, 2009 | Canon PIXMA iP4200 InkJet Photo Printer
Sep 16, 2008 | Canon Cameras
Aug 20, 2008 | Norton Internet Security 2005...
Apr 19, 2008 | Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 for PC
833 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!