- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Make sure no metal item (forks-spoons or oven rack) is touching the outer wall of the microwave. That will cause sparks. If all that is OK then there is usually a metal fan type blade in the microwave top called a stirrer blade that may be out of place and rubbing the cavity causing sparks. Try to pin point the spark area so you know where to look for the problem. Sparks usually mean metal is touching metal somewhere.
Its unlikely to be associated with the tuntable motor.
Units are tuned to prevent arching. Therefore it appears something may have changed inside the unit. Be sure there are no loose items or bits of foil or other mateallic items inside. Also check metal turntable.
I had the same exact problem. My clips arced when I ran the unit and I also observed flames which was quite unsetteling. A work around for me, since I don't use the rack was I took it out then removed the clips. All that was required to remove the clips was a pair of plyers grabing each cliip at their base. I pulled firmly and there is alittle resistance but with a firm pull straight out they'll pop out.
But I have to say if you use rack your probably looking for a new mircowave.
there are carbon deposit near the wave cover. the arching is coming from the magnetron to any exposed metal inside the unit or any carbon deposit since carbon is already conductive, it is sensing it as a metal.
remove and clean the interior of the microwave. polished and paint all exposed metal that you will find in the interior.
My Whirlpool MH3184xps is shooting a spark when in use with the rack. When the rack is removed the oven works fine. I am guessing that some of the coating on the rack has cracked and peeled and is exposing some aluminum. Has anyone else had this problem?
Sonja, I'm not sure what hinges you're speaking about. If you are referring to the bumpers on the ends of the wire racks that are used for convection...move the racks away from the wall. Generally, you should not have anything metal in the unit when it is just microwaving....they are for convection use. You will not start a fire but you will shorten the life of the magnetron if you continue to allow the sparking condition.