First, check whether your device is supported:
- iPod Touch 2G
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4 Verizon
To determine which iPhone you have, use this KB article from Apple.
To determine which iPod you have, use this article.
(scroll down on both pages for more details)
Now, ensure whether your device is running at least iOS 4.2.1
or higher.To check this, on your device, go to Settings>General>About and check the number before the brackets next to "Version
"If your device is on a lower version:
- Open iTunes on your computer.
- Connect the device.
- Click on the device in the left hand pane.
- Click Update, below the image of the device, and follow the necessary procedures mentioned by iTunes.
- This may take some time, the software may need to be downloaded and that may take an hour or so depending on your connection. Be patient!
To jailbreak, head over to www.greenpois0n.com
and download the software (links are given on the left hand side, for either mac or windows).Save the file to your desktop.
- Navigate to your desktop.
- Right click the file you just downloaded, and click "Extract All.." and extract the files to the desktop.
- From the files that were just extracted, run "greenpois0n.exe" and follow the instructions presented on-screen.
- Be patient, it may take a while for the process to complete, if you follow the instructions carefully, nothing will go wrong.
Congratulations! Enjoy your newly jailbroken iPhone/iPod, you can use Cydia to browse for and install more software.
A Few Notes: This tip is not
for unlocking your iPhone, this is only for jailbreaking
it to allow you to install applications that Apple does not approve/cannot approve into it's app store.