Tip & How-To about Plumbing
Gas Hot Water Tank Not Producing Hot Water
Pilot will not stay lit
Trying to light your pilot light and it keeps going out when you turn on you gas valve. This is a common problem when your thermo-couple goes out. The thermo-couple sends a small electrical charge to the gas valve to keep its self lit. When the unit calls for heat the pilot flame gets bigger producing more electric and tells the gas valve to open the main gas valve to the burner tubes. The thermo-couple is an easy item to change most of the time. You will need to follow these steps to change out your thermo-couple:
1. Turn off the gas (there is an inline shut off on the supply line before it reaches the gas valve, you need to turn this crossways to the pipe)
2. Locate the thermo-couple it will look like this and be attached to the gas valve
3. Unscrew the thermo-couple from the gas valve
4. Remove the other end of the thermo-couple from the pilot holder
5. Measure or take the old thermo-couple to the hardware or appliance store with you to get the proper length (there are many different lengths of thermo-couples)
6. Reinstall the bulb end at the pilot
7. Reinstall the threaded end on the Gas Valve (make sure not to cross thread the thermo-couple it should start by hand)
8. Turn the gas valve to the pilot position and hold down the red button wait a few seconds then turn off and do again (you will need to do this around 5 times in order to get the gas back up to the pilot light then try and light the pilot)
9. Try to ignite the pilot light.
10. Once you get the pilot light lit you will want to hold down the button for 60 seconds then turn the gas valve to the on position.
Here is an image of a thermo-couple (they will all look similar to this):
Thank you for choosing FixYa.com. If you have any further questions please post them and we will gladly answer them
Posted by Justin... on
Sep 21, 2011 | Water Heaters
Aug 09, 2011 | Reliance Natural Gas Water Heater Control
Apr 21, 2011 | Rheem 50 Gallon FVR NATGAS Water Heater...
Oct 14, 2010 | Vacuums
Dec 17, 2009 | General Electric GE SmartWater Household...
630 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!