Tip & How-To about Office Equipment & Supplies
There are many rumors regarding re-filling cartridges, and many people have been put off by the idea due to bad quality, a messy experience or a friend told them not to do it!!
The truth is:
Basically Any HP, Canon, Lexmark or Dell two cartridge printers can be Re-filled with the same results as OEM Cartridges.
Most of the time it is VERY EASY to refill a cartridge, But also depends on a few factors.
Individual Colour Cartridges and Most new Epson Cartridges can be purchased in the AfterMarket world very easily, and the quality of them is very acceptable.
These cartridges are not worth the time to refill versus for the cost of compatibles, although I would recommend Re-Fillable cartridges for high volume users, these have refill plugs and self resetting ink levels. By using these brings the cost per cartridge down to approx $2 per colour
This still leaves all the people who have 2 Cartridges in there printers, and find that even a compatible cartridge is hard to find and still not "cheap",
Provided you have Good quality ink and the correct tools refilling these cartridges CAN BE REFILLED, But there are some tricks to remember.
1. Do not let the cartridge run completely empty, There is a sponge and lower chamber in these type, if the sponge dries and Air gets into the lower chamber, It wont work after a refill. A simple way is to top the cartridges up every weekend, just to be sure.
2. Do not use the cheapest ink you can find. Ink from USA, JAPAN and Australia is the best, Most Other ink is a powder base and has a very poor record. Use inks made from liquid, oil based ingredients. This is the closest ink to OEM standards. Powder Based inks will give a questionable output and probably clog up very quickly.
3. It is Ink, So common sense should dictate to do this over the kitchen sink. I have been Re-Filling cartridges for 6 years and still get ink on my hands!!!
4. Do Not overfill these cartridges or Ink will simply run out of the print head, if the cartridge total capacity is 20ml, use 18ml of ink just to be safe.
5. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, Read them before you start, then only if your confident go ahead. If you miss a step the ink can flow when you dont want it! Some cartridges require a air plug or head to be covered before you start, just make sure you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
6. If you change cartridges once every 6 months, is it really worth purchasing a kit that does 10 refills???
Keep Posted for more individual instructions to follow. Hewlett Packard refill instructions (two cartridge printers)
I Hope this information is useful, if so please Rate this Tip.Thank You for supporting the FixYa Community
Posted by Grant... on
Mar 26, 2014 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Jun 10, 2010 | Canon Pixma MP450 All-In-One InkJet...
Dec 17, 2009 | Samsung CLX 3160fn All-In-One Printer
Jun 26, 2009 | 2003 Jaguar X-Type
May 07, 2009 | Office Equipment & Supplies
629 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!